Brakes acting wierd... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today, the brakes in my HJ60 have been acting wierd. It's almost as if it's not holding vacuum. When I first pump the brakes, the pedal is dead, but the more i pump, the more firm the pedal gets. Then, as i drive, it looses it's firmness.

When I first noticed this problem, I noticed the parking brake was dead, wasn't doing a thing. I pumped the brakes trying to build pressure, and now it is terribly hard to pull up and has a really jerky motion. The only thing I can relate it to is the feeling you get with a hand saw skipping across wood.

The possible things that caused this, that I can think of are:

1) I was test fitting a bracket for my A/C compressor, handed it to my friend, and he set it directly on to the battery. It connected the frame with the positive terminal. Sparks and smoke shot out of both batteries, and smoke came from the rear passenger side of the engine bay. The only thing i could find back there that the smoke came from are some hydroliv lines that I think are the brake lines.

2) I checked the brake fluid and removed the cap. I am thinking that maybe it is not making a seal again, no matter how well I think I am getting a good seal.

Anyone have any other ideas of what would cause this?

The seal on the brake resoivoir cap is not important (other than to keep fluid in, and air/water out).

Did all of the brake problems start after the battery/smoke incident?

You mentioned some damage to what appears to be a hydrolic line - is it leaking? Have you checked the level in the brake fluid resevoir - is it dropping?

lovetoski said:
The seal on the brake resoivoir cap is not important (other than to keep fluid in, and air/water out).

Did all of the brake problems start after the battery/smoke incident?

You mentioned some damage to what appears to be a hydrolic line - is it leaking? Have you checked the level in the brake fluid resevoir - is it dropping?

This started after these incidents, it was fine alst night when I was driving.

There are no leaks and the level isn't dropping at all. It was actually a little high so I removed some.

I had very similiar problem last year.
But as my case, it was brake booster fault.
It sometimes worked, sometimes didn't work.
But when I did booster vacuum test and operation test following to FSM, it passed always.

Before I found brake problem was caused by booster, to solve this problem, I did every brake jobs such as all cylinder rebuilding(including master cylinder), changing all brake related hardware(springs, clip, parking brake cable, shoe, etc) checked every hydraulic related parts (steel tube, rubber hose)
But I couldn't figure out.
Finally, I removed brake booster and inspected.
Because of the long time of master cylinder leaking, it had a bottle of brake fluid in it's body. :mad: and booster front seal was torn.
So I drained every liquid in it, completely cleaned, dried and changed front seal.
After repairing, I'd installed booster again and did test but it did same way with before repairing.
I want to overhaul compelely but it's impossible because there's no shop which can do brake booster overhaul.
(In Korea, repairing and reusing of brake related parts is not allowed by stupid govermment officers and requiring of vehicle venders. They want to earn more money with selling of new and expensive parts)
Because of this reason, I bought used brake booster when I gone to USA as a business travel and tried to change and test.
It's success ! (It passed exactly 10 month to figure out :confused: )
So, if possible, check your brake booster also.

Oh, Min Seok

Last edited:
schaats said:

I am taking it in to my local mechanic to see what he thinks. this may be the perfect oppurtunity to do my rear disc conversion too. Thanks for the advice. I will also cross-post in the International forum.

majanrk said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the brake systems a lot different on a diesel that a gas motor? If so, try posting over on the international section.

The booster and pressure issues as the same. The diference is in the vacuum pump ( in gas engine you don't need one ) that yuu need in diesel engines ..

I thougut thta you have a air in the line issue ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom