Brakes acting up. Some times good......some times shhht (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, where did this thread wind up?

Random pedal engagement = wheel bearings? Which I get sort of, since the front brakes are four piston, opposing, no slide pins.

I have a pseudo similar problem.

I will apply a constant pedal pressure, and can feel the entire vehicle slowing, releasing, slowing, releasing. And, much less frequent that the wheels rotating, so not likely any rotor warp. Also, it happens intermittently.

I really don’t feel lime the brakes are great either, as in I would doubt they would lock, unless I stood both feet on rhem.

Pads are thick, no uneven wear. Rotors are clean, no heavy grooves / corrosion, full spec thickness.

60,000 miles on 2002.

Was thinking wheel bearing check, but also perhaps the electronic booster due to the pressure modulation. I do not feel any foot pedal modulation when that happens either.

Any extra thoughts? Insights?

A new Toyota booster can be found for $400, and the dealer wants $2700 for same part. So, I would be swapping myself, or providing independant shop with parts.

It floors me, how buying a Toyota part internationally, usually saves me 300-400% from local dealer.
I originally posted this thread and thought for sure it was a master/booster issue. Drove the LC for the first time in a month last weekend and we had the windows down because it was nice. Noticed noise at the front passenger wheel when at speed going around corners to the left and right. Got out inspected the truck and saw irregular wear on the rotor on the passenger side. There is a big patch in the center of the rotor which looks worn/different.

Im now leaning towards bearing/caliper issue at passenger front but have not had time to take it apart. Been to busy and its been in the 90's in Seattle so I havent been working on anything lol

Wheel bearings

Interesting. What is the connection here? I've also had similar problems and a couple of garage's have said the braking system looks fine, so I would like to believe it will fix it but would like to understand how this is linked.

I think he's referring to wheel bearing play causing rotor runout, which pushes the brake pads/pistons into the calipers. Then it takes more brake pedal travel before the pads contact the rotor. If @nukegoat is trolling it will probably involve nightview or door mounted fuel bladders or other marvels of engineering prowess.

For anyone interested I finally had time to try to figure out what the issue was (have NOT been driving it) and the braking issue appears to be a bad wheel bearing. As much movement as there is in the whole assembly im suprised it was not wobbling/screeching/thumping while being driven. Watch the video, pretty scary really. @nukegoat I believe you hit the nail on the head, thank you!

Also note PO stated brakes had been done sometime prior to my purchase. Wondering if that has somehting to do with the bearing failure. Hard to tell because the truck has 210K miles on it as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom