Brakes 1985 F60? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

An empty or mostly empty FJ60 with stock brakes and 31” or smaller tires stops fine when the braking system is working properly. You may not be able to lock up all the wheels in an emergency stop, but it’ll stop safely.

Add bigger tires and a lot more weight and the stock braking system becomes inadequate.

On factory 28” or 29” tires that came with the cruiser from the factory, the stock brakes (when new) were plenty good.

If you suspect your calipers are original, then reman calipers will help with side-to-side pulling when you stop. They are not super expensive on Rock Auto (Toyota's remans are back ordered apparently forever).

I always use OEM Toyota pads (Toyota now sells a 'premium' Japan pad and a cheaper US-made discount pad). I have always found aftermarket pads to be noisy, but maybe it's just me. I have no idea if aftermarket rotors and pads work any better than OEM.

Akebono brake pads are generally OEM for newer Toyota, but I don't know about 60-series.

If not OE Toyota, then Advics is probably the OEM

You can search on here or look in the FAQ section near the top for mods.......The 4runner brake upgrade is working very well on my 60. You replace the calipers with 1995 V6 4runner calipers, bought rebuilt from Toyota. There is a specific casting mark you need to get. I am sure Napa has them as well. The calipers I used are 47730-35090-84
47750-35090-84

You retain the oem 60 rotors. I changed everything to new and started with no brakes. New master lead to new booster....etc... but it stops very well with 33"s mounted.

As stated by OSS, if you have DD around-town rig with 31" or smaller tires the 4Runner brake upgrade is both expensive and unnecessary. Stock brakes work just fine when they work correctly, meaning properly adjusted rears and functional components. I did it because my calipers were shot and I run large tires and a heavy rig with F and R bumpers.

OEM is the way to go unless you're using very large tires. The 4Runner caliper mod doesn't gain any stopping power over stock and requires cutting up your dust shields. (Not a big deal if your truck is a rusty mess but will reduce the value of a clean one.)

If you've repaired the existing system with good quality parts and are still unhappy, you might consider using an FJ-62 (or 4Runner) vacuum booster. It will reduce the pedal pressure needed to lock up. If your brakes won't lock up 31" tires, fix them until they will.

There is a Tundra mod for people running 33+ tires, towing, or heavy loaded trucks. It is very expensive, requires changing all the brake components at once, and running 16" rims. It works great but I don't recommend it for your application.

Just a data point on the 4Runner upgrade -- You don't have to cut up your dust shields (backing plates) if you use a replacement spacer ($20), then sell your backing plates to someone in the rusty belt.

I got mine from Mark's Off Road

1654640959334.png

1654640984402.png

OEM is the way to go unless you're using very large tires. The 4Runner caliper mod doesn't gain any stopping power over stock and requires cutting up your dust shields. (Not a big deal if your truck is a rusty mess but will reduce the value of a clean one.)

If you've repaired the existing system with good quality parts and are still unhappy, you might consider using an FJ-62 (or 4Runner) vacuum booster. It will reduce the pedal pressure needed to lock up. If your brakes won't lock up 31" tires, fix them until they will.

There is a Tundra mod for people running 33+ tires, towing, or heavy loaded trucks. It is very expensive, requires changing all the brake components at once, and running 16" rims. It works great but I don't recommend it for your application.
I run 31''s. The factory brakes seem strong enough but they are surging so Thought I would see what a pain it is to upgrade since they must be close to toast.

Much appreciated....now for all the smog removal....one thing at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom