Brake Warning Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks,

I just bought a '99 LC a couple of weeks ago. I'm going through it right now fixing some little issues. The brake warning light stays on. No audible alarms. No ABS light. Just the brake light on the lower right corner of the dash. The reservoir is at the correct level. The PO stated that the MC had been rebuilt a couple of years ago and that the light had been on since then. Brakes seem to operate just fine. I'm guessing that whoever rebuilt or exchanged the MC must have boogered up the brake fluid level float. I tried jumping across the two wires that actuate the float sensor, bypassing the sensor itself and that had no effect. I guess there is a possibility that the hand brake switch may be bad and giving the impression that the hand brake lever is always pulled. Any other suggestions on what to look for?

For clarity, at cold start, no lights. Turn key to IGN and the brake pump cycles on for 30 seconds or so. Once the pump stops, brake warning light pops on and stays on. No other lights or buzzers. Brakes work fine.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

To check the fluid level, you followed the evacuation procedure on the reservoir cap/in the FSM?

To check the fluid level, you followed the evacuation procedure on the reservoir cap/in the FSM?
Yes. It was actually overfilled by the PO to the point that the cold level was full to the top of the cap. The brake light was constantly on, even being overfilled. I removed some fluid to get it back in the correct range, hoping that the light might magically go away, but no dice.

Yes. It was actually overfilled by the PO to the point that the cold level was full to the top of the cap. The brake light was constantly on, even being overfilled. I removed some fluid to get it back in the correct range, hoping that the light might magically go away, but no dice.
Unsurprising, unfortunately. I would Hook it up to Techstream and see if there are any brake system faults before throwing parts at it.

The brake warning light stays on. No audible alarms. No ABS light. Just the brake light on the lower right corner of the dash. The reservoir is at the correct level. The PO stated that the MC had been rebuilt a couple of years ago and that the light had been on since then. Brakes seem to operate just fine.
Dave, my '99 at 197k miles just started with the brake indicator light. Sounds like a similar scenario but my rig has no history of a MC rebuild (to my knowledge). Sometimes jiggling the handbrake will get it to go off for a while, which is why I was leaning toward it being a sensor issue.

Did you end up diagnosing/solving yours?

Dave, my '99 at 197k miles just started with the brake indicator light. Sounds like a similar scenario but my rig has no history of a MC rebuild (to my knowledge). Sometimes jiggling the handbrake will get it to go off for a while, which is why I was leaning toward it being a sensor issue.

Did you end up diagnosing/solving yours?
No. Still doing it. Still stops just fine. I will eventually remove the console to see if it may be the hand brake switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom