1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Vibrations

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by coreyart, Aug 29, 2006.

1. coreyart

coreyart

Can someone please help me diagnose why my brakes make a clunk noise and vibrate a bit when I apply them at slow speeds (5 - 7 mph in stop and go traffic?) They work great under all other situations and the pedal feels solid and consistent. Both front and rears have 30% left and I was planning to replace them next month. My FJ62 has 111k miles and has been a solid performer to date.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

2. haryv

haryv

brake rotors warp often

Somone told me once that brake rotors on cruiser warp often. My brake rotors are warped but not enough to justify changing them. Its still a good idea to change them and the pads. As far as the clunk sound thats hard to say. God forbid if it was loose caliper bolts but check everything under neath for missing hardware. Best to have a shop look at it and see if there is anything amis.

3. bridges

bridges

Media:
    Albums:
    Could be wheel bearings need replaced / adjusted or warped rotors. If you're going to replace the rotors you might as well replace the bearings while you're in there. Not a difficult job, but dirty and a little time consuming. Plan on time to take the removed rotor / hub assembly to a machine shop to have the lug studs pressed out and back into the new rotors once mounted on the hubs. You can do it with a hammer like I did, but I wouldn't suggest it.

4. lcwizard

lcwizard Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    generally, "the clunk" is the disc pads slapping into the locating pins as the pads contact the rotor when you apply the brakes. there is slop in the pin holes that locate them. I 've had some sets do this more than others. There is probably a high spot in the rotor (slight warp) that grabs the pad more abruptly than if the rotor were perfectly flat. next time you change pads, do the rotors and put in fresh pins, the pins do wear out. you can get brake hardwear kits that have the new pins and the wire retainers

5. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

I would suggest that you yank off the wheel and see if any of the following are loose...
    1. Caliper bolts
    2. Wheel bearings
    3. Knuckle bearings
    4. Pads/retaining pins

If rotors are warped, usually you'll have a vibration or pulsation, felt through the brake pedal. Warped rotors aren't usually detected by a sound, but through the foot.