brake upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cwb

Threads
There is nothing seriously wrong with my brakes, but I've finally decided they're just too weak. I have 35x12.50 tires with a springover. I have stock rotors and calipers but upgraded the Master Cylinder to a larger one I got from a T100 pickup. But they just don't stop hard enough for me to always feel comfortable with them.

Suggestions?

thanks,
C

I'm going to also sugest the rear brakes also. MAF has a kit on their site. Also do a search there's lots of info on this topic. good luck.

why not try 4runner calipers in the front if you already haven't. Tons of stuff on here about it. You just need to cut the dust shield a little.

Yeah.. Do a search for 4runner calipers up front. I thought about the rear disc upgrade but didn't want to try and rig up another e-brake.Somebody now might have a kit or easy way to do it.

Your 1" MC has 31% greater piston area, meaning it will take 31% more effort to exert the same pressure on your wheel pistons. You should have stayed with the stock MC if you have stock calipers & drums. Your 35s are nominally only 13% larger than stock 31s. You probably wouldn't notice much difference except under panic stops at freeway speeds if your brake system is within spec.

4Runner calipers have about 60% greater clamping force than stock. You need the bigger MC with them because they require more fluid to make the same travel. Other posters have noted spongy brake pedals after making this conversion without the corresponding MC.

The Streetrod Manufacturing Company has a rear disc with park brake: http://www.tsmmfg.com/2491.htm

Hard to compare disc & drum brake performance without a lot of yet unknown sizes like slave cylinder size.

Last edited:
which years 4runner calipers are best/work?

which years / model MC to use? t100, +?...

I bought the DBA slotted rotors - just waiting to get them on. might go whole hog and upgrade while everythings apart. Thanks for the info guys!

rob

I'm in the same way .. but planning use the rear conversion kit from TSMMFG with e bracke firs .. and then if I'm not happy with iot thing about fron better brakes .. :D

I went with remanufactured front calipers from a 94 4runner and a 70 series mc that I got from Liquid Off Road on my '84.
What an amaizing difference it made. Stops 35's almost on a dime, no change!

devo

Tinker said:
Think there are aftermarket alternatives to that one (US Brake, SSBC), but not the Eldo. I hate floating single-piston calipers.

Toyota uses floating single piston calipers in all their 4WDB cruisers ;)

Dave

Beanz -
Which would those be?

IH8 the floating single-piston calipers I've had on all my Audis, too, even though they work. Just think they're cheap, heavy, & prone to pad wear problems.

I scored a pair of brake calipers out of a 90-91 4 runner 4wd with a V6. They are a little smaller than the 92-96 and fit right up with no grinding anywhere. It won't brake the 34's loose when I'm stopping but it's on par with any newer vehicles I've driven.

The other big advantage of the 4-runner stuff is it's MUCH cheaper than the cruiser stuff and it's in stock.

I snagged the calipers at the junkyard down here at $25 for the pair! I am not positive about the years. Go to you're autoparts store and check the part numbers for the rebuild kits.

GREAT upgrade.
Chris

interesting...
I just swapped in a 1" MC instead of the 7/8 that was leaking fluid into my booster...

The pedal was so firm that I thought something was wrong- frozen or something. but when I took it for a test drive (after bleeding and rebleeding)... it works GREAT! Maybe takes more pressure, but definately stops the 60 better.

Could be in part due to just fixing things up, but I've never felt a 60 that stopped like this one does now. Which is nice.

Of course, I'm still thinking about going with better calipers up front and/or a rdb conversion.... but that's just because I really like being able to stop this big ol' thing and, lets face it, 60's stock brakes aren't the very best you can do, by a long shot.

If you want to know what works, go to the brakes section of the Marlin Crawler website. I used their loaded calipers and the same master cylinder. It works great.

I thought al 60 series have one big problem .. as well as allother drum brake cars .. no real adjust .. In my case .. and IMOP after any soft or hard off road trip drum brakes sucks .. you must need to open it, clean and adjust to get proper brake power again.

ok let me get this straight a 92-94 4runner v6 4wd with a 1" mc and all with stock cruiser rotors. Thanks all just wanat to make sure before I go to junk yard

thanks
Bryon

Yup. Can also snag the M/C off of a t-100 which is like 1 1/16". Check E-bay... I got mine new for dirt cheap on there.

Chris

IMO, the ultimate brakes for a 60 series wagon would be...

Front: '92 4Runner calipers on DBA Club Sped slotted rotors

Rear: Disc brake conversion using Eldorabo calipers since they will keep the ebrake functional once you properly rig a new ebrake cable, and slotted rotors again

MC/booster: Hydroboost from any late model full ton Chevy with a GM 1 1/16" or 1 1/8" bore master cylinder

That oughta stop your rig on a dime and give you change, no matter how heavy you are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom