Brake Upgrade...Not your Typical...Hydroboost? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone make a kit for upgrading the stock brakes...something that really works in 4-low with 37's and 5.29's? I have to send mine to the floor even after a complete flush and 100 series pads on new rotors. I want something powerful...

Chris

AFAIK, nothing that extreme has been done yet. I would love for some sort of over the top brake kit or upgrade or something to come out for these heavy, torque monsters. I've done almost everything I can to my FJ (which is a smaller rotor/drum setup than you have). And while it does stop better than some FZJs I've driven, it's not in the realm I want it.

Yep, I totally agree. In high it does fine...the 100 series pads helped a bunch, but when wheeling in low range, they really suck.

Chris

Does anyone make a kit for upgrading the stock brakes...something that really works in 4-low with 37's and 5.29's? I have to send mine to the floor even after a complete flush and 100 series pads on new rotors. I want something powerful...

Chris
Some one posted on another thread that he had had trouble with braking also, and after he replaced all 4 rotors, changed to 100 pads, AND replaced all 4 CALIPERS, the truck would stop like he threw out an anchor.........I suppose the trucks are getting enough age on them now that the calipers could be sticking to that degree............just a thought.......

In 4wd hi maybe. But even brand new these rigs didn't like using the brakes in 4wheel low.

There was a thread somewhere about someone hooking up a vaccum reserve cannister to the booster and that worked pretty good.

Not sure what that is...I'll do a search for it.

Chris

Chris

That seems pretty extreme. I have 4.88's and 35's, and, as DNP quoted from another post of mine, my rig stops quite well (like throwing out an anchor:D). Aside from a complete system flush and 100 series pads, what else have you replaced/serviced?

Brake lines came with the Slee 6" lift. Under normal horizontal terrain, it brakes fine. But, get on the really steep decents and ascents, and that's where it really lags big time.

Chris

I installed hydroboost brakes on my 94 6.2 diesel conversion. I bought a generic hydroboost master cylinder (can't remember where I got it, probably ebay?) and with a bit of fab work it actually bolted right up to where my old master was. It also came with several choices of rods to attach to different brake pedals so it wasn't too difficult to make it all work.
All it takes is a couple hydraulic lines from the power steering pump (not sure how easy that would be with the Toyota steering pump, with the GM it was easy) and you are finished.
As far as stopping power it was worlds better, it would throw you through the windshield if you weren't careful!
Aside from the master cylinder I didn't replace anything else except for new pads all the way around.
Definitely worth the effort if you really want stopping power.
Rusty

k, so I wonder where I can research this some more? I don't really know where to start on this, so just trying it out with random parts isn't an option for me. :) But, I can follow directions with the best of them...lol.

Chris

the engine probably doesn't produce much vacuum at idle and low rpms. Hot rodders use electric vacuum pumps because really built engines dont produce much vaccum either. Diesel vehicles almost all have the hydraulic booster thats plumbed into the power steering. The nissan diesels that came in the IH Scouts had a vacuum pump on the back of the alternator. Maybe look at diesel 80's for parts that will bolt up.

I know .. I was looking there are few old models that came factory with electric vacc pumps .. I'm trying to locate one of those .. coz you can source in Summit one bran new vacc pump around 400 bucks ..

K, how do you hook it up though...lol? It would be worth the $400 to me, but I have no clue how to do it.

Chris

I've never hooked one up, but I imagine its pretty simple. Just run the booster line to the vacuum pump and plug the one on the engine. There may be a tank or something to even out the vacuum.

Simple huh? Anyone care to elaborate on how this could be done. :)

Chris

I've never hooked one up, but I imagine its pretty simple. Just run the booster line to the vacuum pump and plug the one on the engine. There may be a tank or something to even out the vacuum.

There is a thread that details someones adventures with a larger brake booster and a vacuum canister.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/350178-another-brake-upgrade.html

It appears that the larger booster did not do as much as the canister...or at least did not do as much until he installed the larger canister. Installing the canister would also give you the advantage of having more than just the 3 or 4 times of pressing on the brake pedal before you run out of vacuum and you have to do it unassisted.

I'm tempted to try the above link on my truck. It frankly stops great, but I've been in a situation before where I ran out of vacuum, and it was not fun. That along would be a good reason for it in my book.

There is a thread that details someones adventures with a larger brake booster and a vacuum canister.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/350178-another-brake-upgrade.html

It appears that the larger booster did not do as much as the canister...or at least did not do as much until he installed the larger canister. Installing the canister would also give you the advantage of having more than just the 3 or 4 times of pressing on the brake pedal before you run out of vacuum and you have to do it unassisted.

I'm tempted to try the above link on my truck. It frankly stops great, but I've been in a situation before where I ran out of vacuum, and it was not fun. That along would be a good reason for it in my book.

That's the one I was thinking of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom