Brake Upgrade Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anyone used this?

Brake Upgrade Combo 2 | Marlin Crawler, Inc.

Contemplating for my 87'

Thanks

I use essentially that same combo. Slotted FJ62 rotors, '92 4Runner calipers (which are the same as what's in the kit) and an FJ80 MC (which is also a 1" bore). I had to do a little bit of grinding on the calipers to get the OEM wheels to clear, and also had to cut a couple small sections of the backing plates away so the calipers would bolt in place, but that was all I had to do. It's not 100% bolt-on, but damn close.

Does anyone want to condense that "Comments on Brakes" thread into something that makes sense? Is the upgrade to a bigger caliper only or bigger caliper and master cylinder together a practical improvement or not?

Will it help a 60/62 stop better or not?

Does anyone want to condense that "Comments on Brakes" thread into something that makes sense? Is the upgrade to a bigger caliper only or bigger caliper and master cylinder together a practical improvement or not?

Will it help a 60/62 stop better or not?
As I pointed in that thread, it is too subjective to state a formula that is perfect for everyone. There is no silver bullet. The whole point of the thread is to offer some info to help you make the decision about what works the best for you.

Assuming that the parts to do it could be found I wouldn't bother messing with the hydraulics at all. I would go to a rotor with a larger OD that was also slightly thicker so that the air vents were bigger. That means that you'd need to go to larger wheels as the current rotor is about as large as can be fit inside of a 15" wheel and some sort of adapter bracket would be needed to mount the caliper. That would offer the greatest increase in braking torque and fade resistance.

@ Spike Strip - Ya, I got the idea from your thread. Thanks for the insight.

For the record, stock 60-series calipers are not the same a 4 cyl 4Runner/minitruck calipers. I figured they were seeing as a lot of Toyota parts are interchangeable and the V6 calipers worked as an upgrade with no other mods.

The 4Runner/minitruck calipers use 4 large pots. The 60 calipers use 2 large pots, 2 small pots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom