Brake Up Grade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi I've got a '92 HDJ81 that I want to upgrade the brakes on, I know that from some time in '92 80's got larger diameter discs and these are what I want to use.

What I want to know is do the front calipers from a later model 80 bolt on to the earlier model 80 i.e is it the caliper that is different (apart from the obvious extra width for the thicker rotor) or is the caliper mount different and that is where the extra distance out from the hub comes from???

Help!

As an aside my current front rotors are only 20mm thick, I cannot find a reference to this thickness anywhere, they're all listed as either 25mm or 32mm??

Sam :)

In the US the FJ80 (91 and 92) had 15" wheels...in '93 and on they have 16" wheels. I think this might correspond with a major change in the braking system.

C-Dan can find out/would know for sure...

SamB said:
As an aside my current front rotors are only 20mm thick, I cannot find a reference to this thickness anywhere, they're all listed as either 25mm or 32mm??

I think your rotors are below spec for your car. From memory the min thickness is about 22mm and yours have been skimmed/warn to the point where they are below spec. You will need to take them off to check against the min thickness figure cast onto the inside of the disk.

You don't need to take them off to measure them.

DougM

TX_TLC said:
In the US the FJ80 (91 and 92) had 15" wheels...in '93 and on they have 16" wheels. I think this might correspond with a major change in the braking system.

C-Dan can find out/would know for sure...

The discs went from 286 x 25mm to 311 x 32mm for '93 I'm hoping it was only the caliper that was changed and not the caliper mounting...

jvoelcker said:
I think your rotors are below spec for your car. From memory the min thickness is about 22mm and yours have been skimmed/warn to the point where they are below spec. You will need to take them off to check against the min thickness figure cast onto the inside of the disk.

Yes I'm thinking my discs must be really worn!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom