1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Up Grade

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by SamB, Aug 11, 2005.

1. SamB

SamB

Hi I've got a '92 HDJ81 that I want to upgrade the brakes on, I know that from some time in '92 80's got larger diameter discs and these are what I want to use.

What I want to know is do the front calipers from a later model 80 bolt on to the earlier model 80 i.e is it the caliper that is different (apart from the obvious extra width for the thicker rotor) or is the caliper mount different and that is where the extra distance out from the hub comes from???

Help!

As an aside my current front rotors are only 20mm thick, I cannot find a reference to this thickness anywhere, they're all listed as either 25mm or 32mm??

Sam :)

2. bjowett

bjowett

Just a guess... I'd say it is very probable that everything will bolt up... don't forget the splash shields on the back side.

3. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

In the US the FJ80 (91 and 92) had 15" wheels...in '93 and on they have 16" wheels. I think this might correspond with a major change in the braking system.

C-Dan can find out/would know for sure...

4. jvoelcker

jvoelcker

I think your rotors are below spec for your car. From memory the min thickness is about 22mm and yours have been skimmed/warn to the point where they are below spec. You will need to take them off to check against the min thickness figure cast onto the inside of the disk.

5. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

You don't need to take them off to measure them.

DougM

6. SamB

SamB

The discs went from 286 x 25mm to 311 x 32mm for '93 I'm hoping it was only the caliper that was changed and not the caliper mounting...

Yes I'm thinking my discs must be really worn!!