Brake Thud? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
when releasing the brake pedal , there is a thud just like the driveshaft thud. and yes i am sure it not the driveshaft its brake related, anybody experienced this?

front and rear brake pads and, routers serviced 2 months ago

Check ball joints, and control arm bushings. Also check anti-sway bar bushings. The transfer of weight to the front of the vehicle may be causing a "thud" from a loose joint or connection. A well positioned go-pro camera, a few zip ties, and a few laps around the block might help to diagnose.

Check caliper bolt. Had one of those walk out and the caliper was rotating back and forth

I am experiencing the exact same thing periodically. It’s not every time, but I too am thinking it’s brake related. Sort of feels like in the process of stopping the brake pads gripped the rotor with some forward tension still remaining. Not too concerning at this point, but I’ve been curious as well. Glad to know I’m not alone in this issue.

Was the thud there before the brake service 2 months ago? Or is this a new development since?
yes it was there.

Check ball joints, and control arm bushings. Also check anti-sway bar bushings. The transfer of weight to the front of the vehicle may be causing a "thud" from a loose joint or connection. A well positioned go-pro camera, a few zip ties, and a few laps around the block might help to diagnose.

all bushings and arms and joints have been checked, all good.
go pro cam might help find the cause.
Thanks

Check caliper bolt. Had one of those walk out and the caliper was rotating back and forth
my first though was caliper or cables related, because as soon as I release the brake pedal, I hear the thud.
will check that first thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be as simple as cleaning and lubing the pad slider pins. If they are corroded or dirty they could cause the pad to not retract and stick for a second before releasing. Simple things first. Worst case is that your master cylinder is on its way out.

I have had a similar issue the entire time I've owned my car (~4 years i think). I also have a significant D-R thunk. I haven't figured out the brake thud, but I did watch the driveshafts while someone else went from D to R and noticed all the slop appears to be within the centerline drive mechanisms. IE Transfer case, front D/S to front Diff, rear D/S to rear diff. It would appear I've just got a lot of wear in all the components as no individual component looked worse than another. My front CVs appeared to have no slop at all, yet the front D/S moved a lot. Short of re-gearing I'm not sure how to fix it.

I suspect the D-R thud is related to the brake thud.

Also of note, I tried manually turning the shafts and even with a strap wrench I cannot move the shafts at all. Yet, put it in D then R and you can watch all of the shafts move a significant amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom