brake switch (to get out of Park) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
do any of you guys ever have issues with the switch on the brake? the one that allows you to shift out of park? i dont know if it's a common issue or not, but is it a relatively cheap and easy fix?

there is a landcruiser with that issue and also one of the accessory pulley is not balanced (causing the accessory belt to wear prematurely). that doesn't sound too big of an issue.

anyway thanks for any tips and help regarding those problems.

Yes, mine does the same thing. I have not replaced the switch yet, but I did tie wrap the latch out of the way so I can drive her. Just have to pay attention to where I'm moving the shift lever!

do you know the fix to this? doesn't sound like it'll be too hard or expensive...?

can you post any pictures of what you're doing with it for now?

There is a little catch that prevents it from shifting. Just pull off that center trim panel, (4 screws and the tcase shift knob, at least on the 94) and you will see the mechanism. Very simple to figure it out and defeat it if you so desire.

would this brake switch have anything to do with all of my rear brake lights not working as well?

i'm not throwing any tail light warning... haven't checked the bulbs yet either :)

has someone actually had this issue and FIXED the problem correctly by reinstalling the right sensor or anything?

The 80's are designed to not shift out of park when the brake lights are not working.

if it's not the light bulb that is out/blown, could there be another reason the brake lights aren't working at all?

there are no tail lamp warning lights on the dash board, so i'm thinking it's not the bulbs blown.

Check the brake switch that is adjacent to your brake pedal. It may need adjusted or replaced.

There are lots of threads where people had their harness for the trailer wiring causing problems with the lights in the back of their cruisers.

There are lots of threads where people had their harness for the trailer wiring causing problems with the lights in the back of their cruisers.

Bingo, that is the most likely culprit.

Symptom for this: can't disengage out of park, no brake lights.

It is located behind the rear passenger panel.

A relay from the trailer wire is the culprit. You can easily unhook it until replacement parts from Cdan. I think he actually recommends a certain aftermarket replacement for this.

Under the center console lives the "shift lock ecu". It senses the brake lamp circut and shifter position and fires the shift lock release solenoid to allow you to come out of PARK. There should also be a little button under a removable slug in the shifter console that will allow you to shift.

MIne did that when I had a blown brake light fuse

Non-functional brake lights also cause the Cruise Control to stop working.

Does your Cruise Control work?

X2 on checking the fuse before you go throwing new parts at it.

been there, done that

... there are no tail lamp warning lights on the dash board, so i'm thinking it's not the bulbs blown.

There are no dash warning lights for burned bulbs. You either have a blown taillight fuse or a burned out taillight. Instead of looking for dash lights, you need to look at the brake lights.

-B-

Non-functional brake lights also cause the Cruise Control to stop working.

Does your Cruise Control work?

yep my cruiser control doesn't work now either. i havne't checked my fuse, i will now!
then i'll look into the trailor relay after...
the light bulbs are perfectly fine though i checked it today and they weren't blown.

X2 on checking the fuse before you go throwing new parts at it.

been there, done that

True, true.

I kept replacing my brake light fuse until I finally learned about the trailer relay. I just unhooked it from the brake light and, voila, no more fuse problem.

Last edited:
whats up guys!! found that the brake fuse WAS blown!!! what a relief! :) i dont' know what i would do without forums... i just hope i can contribute back half of what help i get!

so you guys are saying the trailer relay is causing the brake light fuse to be blown constantly? i checked for the trailer fuse but i dont know if i had the right one...?

i found a white plug already unhooked behind/side of the driver side 3rd row seat. i plugged it back in thinking that was required for some reason and then checked the brake fuse to discover it being blown (upon replacing it) the brake lights worked of course (and now the shifter disengages from Park perfect!)

now to find that cause that blows the brake light fuse!!! thanks guys!!

thats what happened on mine but only when it would rain or get wet somehow ... we all know how well water conducts electricity

whats up guys!! found that the brake fuse WAS blown!!! what a relief! :) i dont' know what i would do without forums... i just hope i can contribute back half of what help i get!

so you guys are saying the trailer relay is causing the brake light fuse to be blown constantly? i checked for the trailer fuse but i dont know if i had the right one...?

i found a white plug already unhooked behind/side of the driver side 3rd row seat. i plugged it back in thinking that was required for some reason and then checked the brake fuse to discover it being blown (upon replacing it) the brake lights worked of course (and now the shifter disengages from Park perfect!)

now to find that cause that blows the brake light fuse!!! thanks guys!!

Good news. Hopefully fixed for good. Keep spare fuses just in case.

If it happens agains, I suggest looking at the trailer harness in PS rear panel.

See: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/166239-trailer-wiring.html?highlight=trailer+fuse+park
Also: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...-blown-fuses.html?highlight=trailer+fuse+park

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom