Brake pump making weird sounds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced all of my hard lines in my 100 series a couple of months ago. I bled the system according to the instructions from guys on here. While my brakes seem to be working fine, on start up and randomly while driving the pump is making a slower lower pitched almost grinding noise now as opposed to the smoother cycle noise it made before. It just started this in this past week. If I didn't get all of the air out of the lines would this cause the pump to cavitate? any ideas on this?

I’m not experiencing any pump issues, but what relieved any concerns I had with air in the system was after changing my brake pads.

If you’ve already changed pads after bleeding then compressing the caliper pistons may have purged any air in the lines. I had to empty out 12 ounces from the reservoir to put it at max.

I’m not experiencing any pump issues, but what relieved any concerns I had with air in the system was after changing my brake pads.

If you’ve already changed pads after bleeding then compressing the caliper pistons may have purged any air in the lines. I had to empty out 12 ounces from the reservoir to put it at max.
This particular job all I replaced were the hard brake lines running from the engine bay down the frame

I doubt it's air in the lines. Known issue with the brake booster motor commutator and bearings failing. You didn't say how many miles you have on it? We had one fail at 240-ishK and my daughter's just went at 269K. Replace it before you are suddenly without the ability to stop!
Lots of threads on the brake boosters failing, but not a hard fix. Just hard to plunk down the $ for the parts.

I doubt it's air in the lines. Known issue with the brake booster motor commutator and bearings failing. You didn't say how many miles you have on it? We had one fail at 240-ishK and my daughter's just went at 269K. Replace it before you are suddenly without the ability to stop!
Lots of threads on the brake boosters failing, but not a hard fix. Just hard to plunk down the $ for the parts.
I have 240k on mine. It's crazy Otram is saying they aren't a common problem but on these forums it seems like they really are. I know no parts last forever so replacing it is probably not a bad idea. I am just curious if there are any indicators that predict a failure in the near future.

The wierd noise is the predictor of pending failure. Lots of descriptions on the forum of the noise. "Dying seagull" is my favorite.
I took apart the motor from my GX and inspected it. Brushes were worn to nothing and the commutator had missing contacts when it totally failed. Housing was full of dust / debris from brushes that eventually get into the bearings for the armature.
If it's 240,000 mi, I would buy the part knowing that you are going to have to replace it soon.

The wierd noise is the predictor of pending failure. Lots of descriptions on the forum of the noise. "Dying seagull" is my favorite.
I took apart the motor from my GX and inspected it. Brushes were worn to nothing and the commutator had missing contacts when it totally failed. Housing was full of dust / debris from brushes that eventually get into the bearings for the armature.
If it's 240,000 mi, I would buy the part knowing that you are going to have to replace it soon.
Thanks for this. I will get started looking for the replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom