Brake Pulling Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Michael Browning

That's how you get ants.
Threads
Hello all,

I have a 1990 FJ62, 215,000 miles. Truck pulls SOMETIMES to the left hard when I come to a stop. Back brakes are good and adjusted properly, I checked by using the ebrake to slow the truck, it stops straight.

During light stops, cannot feel it pull, and only some of the time does it pull hard left when you stop. Truck has good reman calipers that do not leak, good pads, etc. I have bled the system. The pedal feels firm, truck will lock up the rears no problems.

I am thinking it may be squishy brake lines that need to be replaced with stainless steel, or maybe a bad master cylinder. What else am I missing???

Mike

Sticky caliper? Where are your reman calipers from and how old are they?
Are the brake lines original? I have heard of them ballooning out under pressure.

I would definitely start by replacing the brake lines, a full set of stainless steel lines are about $100 from man-a-fre and they are extended for a lift kit. I'm not sure what the calipers cost but I have seen brake lines cause pull more than calipers.

Sticky caliper? Where are your reman calipers from and how old are they?
Are the brake lines original? I have heard of them ballooning out under pressure.

The lines are original, no doubt from the amount of age/crud/etc. My calipers are from Napa, I had to return one because it was leaking, but I have pulled both front calipers and all is dry.

I am thinking brake lines.

Mike

Mine did the same thing and I had a caliper that all the seals were busted and leaking. Replaced them both and problem solved.

maybe also check...

...the front wheel bearings. if they need to be snugged up or are wearing, you might have those symptoms.

...the front wheel bearings. if they need to be snugged up or are wearing, you might have those symptoms.

......and maybe
bad trunion bearings shifting under the braking load ?

Replace the rubber lines, if it still pulls I would suspect the calipers. Even brand new and rebuilt parts can be bad right out of the box.

The wheel bearings and trunions have been replaced in the past year as part of the front axle rebuild I did.

I did check the wheel bearings, that was what I was thinking. I ordered a stainless brake line kit from SOR that I am hoping will cure the problem. If not, I am going to check the calipers for stuck pistons, etc.

It is a frustrating issue....

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom