Brake problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have this problem with my brakes for some days and I can’t figure out what causes it.
When I press the brakes, i have to push the pedal quite deeper then before, and when I press it hard my 80 gives a pull to the right, also noticable in the steering wheel, it is only for a second, then it brakes straight.
Then driving along the brake pedal feels nice and firm as it should untill the next kilometer or so, then it’s the same again.
Front and rear left brakr calipers are new, front brake pads are new.
Rear brake pads are new.
The rear left brake disc is somewhat grooved, but was also before the probles started.

Another very weird issue, when I pump the brakes up with the engine running, as the pedal gets hard the engine glow light comes on and goes away as the pedal drops ????

Any ideas?

Sounds Like you have a little air in the line. Bleed the brakes check for leaks/bad hoses

So you only replaced the calipers on the left side? If so, I'd start there, you should always do both sides of the axle. I made this mistake too, knowing I had one bad caliper, just replaced the one and later had to go back and do the other side because of pulling to one side.

Then bleed the brakes VERY THOROUGHLY. 80-series brakes are known for needing a lot more bleeding than most vehicles.

If your problems continue after that, then look into the master cylinder.

Hi,
Both front calipers and rear left where replaced 6 months ago because the pistons were stuck badly.
Rear right was fine and the piston went in and out smoothly.
It was fine for half a year untill now.
I’ll try bleeding them again, but would be strange if this would be the problem after 6 months?

Last edited:
Did you grease the sliding pins? If you don't the brake dust will stick the sliding caliper. Check both pads on both sides. I'll bet one has significantly more wear than the other. The one with the least wear isn't sliding.

Remove pads and check the wheel bearings for play. If the bearings are loose the disc rocks from side to side, this pushes the pad and of course pistons back into the calliper, in the trade we call it 'pad knock off', if this is your problem then the first push of the pedal brings the pads back to the disc, then the brakes work until you drive a little.

You MUST remove the pads to check the bearings.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Did you grease the sliding pins? If you don't the brake dust will stick the sliding caliper. Check both pads on both sides. I'll bet one has significantly more wear than the other. The one with the least wear isn't sliding.
I did have one worn pad, rear left inside pad, i think because of the bad grooved disc. New pads and discs are on the way anyway.
I fitted an older pad I had from when I replaced them that has more than 50% thickness, and indeed the upper sliding pin did not slide well, but I would think the pads would drag instead?

From what I've seen, when the pins are gummed up, the pads don't contact the rotors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom