Brake Problem Please Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1984 toyota pickup. When i first got it. It barely had any brakes. You had to pump them 2 to 3 times to get brakes. So i replaced the master cylinder. Which made it even worse. So maybe its the brake booster. 1 brake booster later still the same problem. Excpet now i have to pump the brakes 4 to 5 times to get anything. Then when i rev the motor all brakes are lost. Ive checked all the vacuum lines. Brakes lines. Nothings leaking at all. I have aboslutely no clue as to what needs to be done next. Theres solid fluid out of every bleeder even the LSPV. Its got the 22r motor in it. If youbgusy could please point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated.

Air in the lines... I did this and it worked.

Good advice. Bleeding brakes requires persistence, keep at it.

You mentioned no brakes when revving the motor, but vacuum lines checked OK. Maybe it's a bad booster, which is internal to that, would think that this could be detected, but something to check. I'm no pickup expert, though, so you may find more specific advice when they get this moved to the proper subforum.

F the one person bleeding techniques. They don't get all the bubbles out. Use the "two person" bleeding method. All you need is a small child, significant other or a friend and it always works first time, every time.

Last edited:
I've had a lot of success with the one person method (gatorade bottle style). Open the bleeder and start pumping away until all of the bubbles are out and the fluid is clear. As long as you keep the fluid reservoir full it works really well. Here are some tips:

- Snip about a 1/4" off the clear hose for each new connection so its super tight every time.
- Loosen the bleeder enough that fluid flows but not so loose that air can come back in.
- Don't mash the pedal all the way to the floor on an older vehicle.
- Drain the gatorade bottle frequently and keep the reservoir full (I can't emphasize this enough).

I do this once a year on all of my vehicles and its easy with no drama. The two person method is fine but introduces a margin of error "are you holding", "ok its closed, let go" etc... it also takes longer to move the volume of fluid necessary to flush the lines. I've heard mixed reviews on power bleeders and was close to buying one a while back but once I started the one person method I've never looked back.

You just got lucky. One person doesn't get the difficult bubbles out because it doesn't develop any pressure and the fluid and bubbles go both ways. If you had to make your living bleeding brakes, you would use two persons.

+2 for gatorade bottle method as well -
tis pennies on the dollar vs. buying a fancy vacuum bleeder -
or (god forbid) paying the stealership or jiffy splooge to do it for you...

provided the hose in the bottle is always submerged in fluid you are GTG -
and after 4-5 pumps you should have fluid in the entire tube
just follow the bleed protocols - back to lspv to front (farthest to nearest from MC) and make sure your
reservoir remains full during the process....

Bf

Bleeder.jpg
I have used the 2 man, the one man (gatorade bottle), and the pressurized bottle methods. The best one was the pressurized bottle, however this bottle is expensive. I only had access while I was in the Air Force. Now I use the gatorade one man bottle and if it's done correctly, i will work. As a matter of fact, I just did a brake job about a month ago. I don't snip the hose, I get a few zip ties and get them at the bleeder screw.

Pump, Hold, Repeat.....
I don't even have to tell the wife anymore.
She hates spending time with me, but appreciates a firm pedal.

I've had the best luck using the pressurization method. It is quick, easy and 100% successful in getting the air out. I made the one in the photos, but they can be purchased and look much nicer. I add a quart of new fluid in the bleeder, use about 40-psi and bleed each corner quickly.

bleed1.jpg
bleed2.jpg
bleed3.jpg

Like it! but how you connect it to the master cylinder? It is not clear on the picture...

It's attached using pipe clamp.
Remove the brake fluid from the MC reservoir using a syringe and remove the plastic reservoir from the MC. Insert the bleeder into the port of the MC. Use the pipe clamp to hold the bleeder on the MC when pressurized.
Works great.

I recently have used the pressure bleed system on mine and was happy say 9/10. I use a clever 'trick of the trade', and then got 10/10. I do bleed brakes for a living, use a two man or just mimic the two man method and it will be fine.

regards

Dave

If you do brakes for a living, you may also know that you can finish the job faster with the 2 person method than it takes to get out a pressure bleeder and set it up. If the pressure bleeder manages to spray brake fluid on your customer's paint job you will be out a lot more money than the bleeder costs. Having two people bleed the brakes gives you another witness that the brakes were done properly if you ever end up getting sued. I don't understand all the effort that people go to avoid having someone help you bleed the brakes. Maybe they have no wife or significant other, no children and no friends? Sad.

I don't do brakes for a living.
I have used the the two people method many times.
I have kids and a wife, and neighbors too. Not sad, happy.
I prefer the pressure method over pumping the pedal.
It is faster for me. I can perform a thorough line/caliper flush in seconds.

There has been at least one instance I've seen on this forum where someone had a similar problem and it turned out the reman master cylinder they got was bad out of the box. Perhaps that's what happened here?

Nothing wrong with wanting to play with your tools, but shops that make their living need to get it done right in the shortest possible time or they are losing money. The point is that you don't need any special tools or gadgets to get it done fast and reliably.

I don't do brakes for a living.
I have used the the two people method many times.
I have kids and a wife, and neighbors too. Not sad, happy.
I prefer the pressure method over pumping the pedal.
It is faster for me. I can perform a thorough line/caliper flush in seconds.

I have used both, still prefer the one man system, the one I use is the gravity system, fast and simple, if you know how to bleed brakes.
I have people to do the two man system.
I do not do brakes for a living either but I do my own brakes, that way I cannot sue myself or blame anyone for the brake job.
I takes no time to setup the pressurized setup, much less the gravity system and you are not careful, you can spill brake fluid doing any of the methods.

For me, the guy in the video lost credibility when he used and open end wrench to crack the bleeder valve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom