Brake pedal not retracting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I converted my fj40 to disk from a 1979 mini truck. The rear axle is also from a mini truck. All wheel cylinders and calipers are new. I used a booster/mstr cyl from a 1996 Tacoma. When the pedal is depressed it will not return to top without assistance. This is only a factor when the engine is running. Also, I get very little travel, is that normal? I had the same problem when I was using the orginal master cyl/booster. After I converted to disc is seems that the brakes lock up after only 1 inch of pedal depression. Ideas?

Do the brakes drag? Is your booster good? Do you have the spring on your brake pedal that is supposed to help pull it back?

The brakes drag unless I pull up on the pedal. All wheels spin freely if the pedal is pulled up. I assume the booster is good, but I bought it out of a yard so it is possible it is not. Spring? It is my understanding that the spring in the mastercyl should push out the rod. I don't think there is a spring on my pedal assembly. When I bought the fj is was in bad shape so if things are missing I don't always know they where supposed to be there in the first place.

Spring

Just pulled my entire brake assembly apart. There was a spring attached to the brake pedal with the evident purpose of helping it retract. Judging by the rust and other stuff, I believe it to be original since it was apparently there since '79 (GRIN).

Actually, it does appear in the factory manual.

Cheers..

The brakes drag unless I pull up on the pedal. All wheels spin freely if the pedal is pulled up. I assume the booster is good, but I bought it out of a yard so it is possible it is not. Spring? It is my understanding that the spring in the mastercyl should push out the rod. I don't think there is a spring on my pedal assembly. When I bought the fj is was in bad shape so if things are missing I don't always know they where supposed to be there in the first place.

If you had that spring, it might pull your pedal back so that the brakes don't drag.

I don't think there is a spring on my pedal assembly. When I bought the fj is was in bad shape so if things are missing I don't always know they where supposed to be there in the first place.

You need the spring. A hardware store replacement should work.

014H.gif

And here's another picture of that vital spring:

brakelight.JPG

:cheers:
brakelight.JPG

I don't know if there is more here at stake or not???
(a) I once had a bad booster that kept the brakes applied all the time, it did not piss-off pressure even when the pedal was not pressed.
(b) I hope you paid attention to the adjustment between booster and master cylinder, that can also leave your brakes slightly engaged all the time if not spaced properly.
(c) Don't know if you are running into some residual pressure problems with your mixture of parts or not???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom