Brake pedal is sometimes hard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After replacing my front shocks i noticed that sometimes when driving my 1994 80 my brake pedel gets hard and engine stumbles when i try to brake. It is really hard to stop the truck but then goes back to normal braking after about a minute. It happens at random then goea back to normal. I checked:

Brake fluid
Power steering fluid
No vacuum leaks

Any ideas? Thanks

Vacuum leak to the brake booster, or the brake booster is going bad.
Since you were recently in the area of the brake booster when changing the LF shock, I'd look at the vacuum line first.

Vacuum leak to the brake booster, or the brake booster is going bad.
Since you were recently in the area of the brake booster when changing the LF shock, I'd look at the vacuum line first.
Thanks. I checked that and they are sealed. Anything else in that area to check?

Apply manual vacuum with a gauge connected to see if it holds a vacuum. Do this from engine side with makeshift hoses and hand vacuum pump

I had the same problem over the summer. Your booster is going bad and it needs to be replaced.

Lots of threads on brake boosters. If you aren’t gonna pony up for Toyota, this seems to be a popular choice. It’s an expensive component, but given you utterly depend on it to stop your very heavy rig (in stock form) it’s probably a good one to spend money on. Plus the first one lasted a very long time.

Here one that is recommended:

Thank you. I was looking at napa today. Is it a cardone?

When I did my research the Seiken W0133-1740427 was a good option and seemed like OE equivalent per my understanding. It was $295 in Spring of '21 when I purchased one but has jumped up to $400, though that may still be a good deal? I'm not sure if there are any relevant differences between the '97 model that I have and a '94.

Last edited:
I ordered my booster from CruiserYard.com

Order Total:$379.99 USD
Date Placed:23rd Jul 2022
Payment Method:Credit Card

Products shipped​

Cart Items
SKU​
Qty​
80 Series, NEW OEM Seiken Brake Booster and OEM Gaskets (2), 44610-60792

Having driven an 80 (96) with a bad booster, a quality part is not only peace of mind, but will prevent you from bending your steering wheel trying to stop the damn thing. It's no joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom