1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake pedal inconsistency

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by cruzizzle, Feb 20, 2007.

1. cruzizzle

cruzizzle

After driving a vehicle for a while, you kind of get to know where the sweet spot is in pedal travel and just how much initial brake pressure to apply for smooth stopping.

Lately, my pedal will sometimes require me to push it further to get the same reaction as it does at a higher (regular) spot the other 50% of the time. Is this possibly vacuum related or is there a common issue with the 80 on this? My good buddy Search couldn't help me. Pads are all good, fluid is clean, level is good. No leaks, no air in lines- at least I don't think so.

2. -Spike-

-Spike-

Sounds like air in the lines. These trucks are a real bitch to bleed.

-Spike

3. Brian894X4

Brian894X4

I've got a soft pedal issue and I'm getting ready to bleed it for the first time. Is there anything that needs to be different to bleed an 80, compared to any other vehicle?

4. Thermodyn

Thermodyn

I just got done with this issue on the wife's LX. A thorough bleed failed to firm up the pedal. Turned out to be the master cylinder. Replaced the MC, and it's better, but not where I'd like it to be compared to my '96. The LX has 110k as does the '96 LC. I've heard most of these develop soft brake pedals around this mileage, but I hear a lot of different things, so...I don't know. I wasn't taking any chances so I just bit the bullet and ordered up a brand new MC from Cdan.

5. Brian894X4

Brian894X4

Ya, Master Cylinder was going to be my second quess. Literally everything has been changed except the MS. How much are they from Cdan?

I've read a few posts, where it took multiple bleedings to correct the issue.

6. cruzizzle

cruzizzle

Well, I'm at 109K on my '97, so I guess at least we're consistent. It would be hard for me to believe I had an air problem without some sort of seepage or loss of fluid. I'll look further into the MC.

Thanks!

7. agomez

agomez

Media:
    Albums:
    you may need to change the fluid....also if the caliper is empty or new, gravity bleed the caliper first then start the regular bleeding method....works for me