brake pad question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OEM brake pads use the two shims on each pad (OEM pads have no glued in shim) however Ive just put in some Bendix pads that already have a shim attached to them. I did still utilise the Toyota shims in addition to the ones the Bendix pads came with. Fitment was no issue as all the pistons moved back freely and space no problem

Whats the general consensus with this given each pad now has 3 shims

Do I remove the Bendix shim and just use the Toyota ones?
or
use all 3 shims (bendix & Toyota)?
or
just use the Bendix shim on its own and not use the Toyota ones?

thanks
rob

You can install the pads with or without the shims. The more you put in the bigger PITA the install will be, until you reach the point where there's no room for the pads to clear the rotor. Then you'll know you have too many in there.

There's no brake magic in these shims. They were originally include to keep the brakes quiet. If you drive on dirt roads, you don't need them.

An old "anti squeak" trick was double up the shims putting brake grease between the layers. Guys at the shop would talk about it years ago. I never had an issue so I never tried it.

An old "anti squeak" trick was double up the shims putting brake grease between the layers. Guys at the shop would talk about it years ago. I never had an issue so I never tried it.
Gonna try this trick on the daughters Camry, SOB has brake squeak like it's its job. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom