Brake Pad Question (Re "Bedding" brakes) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
youtube.com
Hey Guys

I recently did a complete brake overhaul with the DBA rotors and the Metal Master pads.

I am not happy with the performance (all of nothing bite) of the MM pads and want to go back to stock.

My question is: Since i already bedded the new rotors with these pads, how can i install the new OEM pads with no ill effects?

I have used DBAs on 3 different cruisers with stock pads and awesome results, i shoulda gone with them from the get go.

Any advice or ideas?

Thanks

Go to stoptech.com and read their brake whitepapers. Best info I've found on the net.

And Yes, you will need to rebed the brakes to get the performance it sounds like you want

Go to stoptech.com and read their brake whitepapers. Best info I've found on the net.

And Yes, you will need to rebed the brakes to get the performance it sounds like you want

Thanks, great link.

Would i need to re-surface the brand new rotors though since they have already been "Bedded" with the other pads?

Thanks

I don't know for certain but if it was me, I would lightly sand the rotors with ~600 grit sand paper and rebed the new pads.

Maybe it was on the stoptech website in the "warped rotors" article, but somewhere i read to use garnet sandpaper, as others can leave a residue.

Would i need to re-surface the brand new rotors though since they have already been "Bedded" with the other pads?

It's been a while since I read the articles but I am pretty sure that with standard street pads you will not need to resurface the rotor because standard pads are abrasive enough to bed themselves in over the remains of the earlier pad.

The important point is that if you have new pads with rotors "bedded" in with a less compatible material, you will not get maximum stopping power until the the new pads are bedded in. With high performance pads that are not abrasive enough then resurfacing might be a good idea.

StopTech - Pad and Rotor Bed-In Theory, Definitions and Procedures

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom