Brake Pad Change Without Bleeding Fluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can I just C-Clamp the caliper pistons back with the brake reservoir open? I had perfect success on previous 4Runners I had before but wasn't sure on the Land Cruiser.

The brake pads are not very worn but they squeal like crazy. I have already removed the old pads greased the back a bit along with the pin, no luck with that helping much. Thanks in advance.

Yes, but you should first evacuate the pressure by pumping the pedal ~30 times until it drops out with the key OFF.

I just replaced the rear pads and rotors on mine about two weeks ago. I cracked the bleeder open on the caliper and allowed some fluid to escape while using a pry bar to move the piston back.
Working great now and the new pads are quiet.

It's best practice to NOT push old brake caliper fluid back into the system. Instead, do like BuckarooBanzai did and crack the bleeder and let it flow out into a bottle just as in bleeding brakes.

It's best practice to NOT push old brake caliper fluid back into the system. Instead, do like BuckarooBanzai did and crack the bleeder and let it flow out into a bottle just as in bleeding brakes.
Will any bottle work or do I need a fancy one with a check valve?

Anything will work. Just be careful not to allow air into the caliper while the bleeder is open. Meaning, keep pressure on the piston until the bleeder valve is closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom