Brake Pad Change & Grease? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Watching various videos, some folks grease between shim and backing plate (assuming there are separate shims and backing plates) and also where pistons contact backing plate, and on the retaining pins. Others don't seem to grease anything. TexasKnowHow shows no grease being used. Couldn't find an @OTRAMM video on front pads. (TKH even recommends resurfacing (or replacing) the rotors when changing pads, IIRC.)

What's the best practice here?

Last edited:
Personally I grease the pins and also put grease on all sides of the shims and plates along with grease on the back of the pad.

Sometimes I use regular old grease but it is probably best to use the high temp brake grease.

Personally I grease the pins and also put grease on all sides of the shims and plates along with grease on the back of the pad.

Sometimes I use regular old grease but it is probably best to use the high temp brake grease.
x2

Same as above & use Syl Glide grease or the tiny packets of "brake grease."

As above, you want to grease the pins, shims, and slides. Basically any part that can move. Same principle as anything else, make sure everything can move nicely, as well as avoiding squeal when breaking. There's a lot of vibration on those pads when they contact the rotors. The grease on the back of the shims stops the direct metal on metal vibration where the shims meet the pistons, which causes squeal. The grease on the slide pins and sides of the shims makes sure everything can move smoothly in and out when breaking. All important.

That said, sure, you can usually get away without it. I never used to use grease when I started doing my own brake pads, back when I didn't know better. I've skipped it once in recent times when doing an "emergency change" in a carpark. You'll get quieter, safer results from the grease though, so use it when you can.

use high temp brake grease. clean and grease the pins. if there is any marring or distorting of the pin replace it. grease the edge of the pad backing when it sits in the caliper. make sure you don't get any grease on the rotor or actual pad material.

Last edited:
What grease are you guys using for the brake job? The thing is I want only enough for the rear brakes (drums) since I've already done the front and some to these come in large quantities. Trying to finish the job by tomorrow. On my way to pick up the AGS brand one in the auto zone nearby.

Has anyone tried the Autozone AGS Brake Lubricant 4 oz? Any good?

The FSM says high temp grease in some areas and Lithium in others but not sure what's good. What are you using for the Lithium grease and high temp grease?

Here are some suggestions from videos and forums I've found:
- Ceramic brake grease from permatex (8 oz) (OTRAMM)
- CRC Synthetic Brake (8oz) (Timmy the Toolman)
- White Lithium from BG Brake Kit (another mud user)

You gotta use the right stuff. Anything is just isn't toyoty enough 🤣
20200714_083452.jpg

I'm in Australia, so there'll be some product differences, but I use this stuff:

When I did the rebuild of the handbrake on my 80, I went with the Permatex ceramic stuff OTRAMM used, but I prefer the consistency of the one above for doing the disc brakes. The key here though is just good quality. Bendix is a good brand, and I trust them. Go with a tube or tub of something good, it'll last you ages anyway. Make sure it's specialized brake lube. Don't use just whatever you have lying around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom