Brake overhaul: If you questioned it, do it!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also did a rear brake job (calipers, rotors and pads) a couple weekends ago and can confirm the remanufactured calipers from NAPA were exactly what came off the truck. Must be why the core is $85 on a $60 caliper. They know they are getting a good shell back.

As for improvements, its night and day. I got rid of my bumper dive on hard stops. I think a lot of people that have that issue and chaulk it up to worn springs should do brakes first and bleed the LSP valve.

C-Yeti

Where able to re-mount the Factory stone guards?

I am doing my rear brakes and e-brakes and opted to requild the originals.. I was very tempted to go Napa.

There is a recent post of a set of rear caliper that were powercoated and they looked really nice..:meh:

There is a recent post of a set of rear caliper that were powercoated and they looked really nice..:meh:

Do you mean these PC calipers:

ps-rear-brake.jpg

I went with PC calipers not for bling but for rust protection. I recently installed new rear calipers, rotors, pads and soft lines my braking has improved greatly.

I want to try the DBA 4000 series rotors for my brakes and ceramic pads.

Anyone done that before? Is it worth the money?

C-Yeti

Where able to re-mount the Factory stone guards?

I am doing my rear brakes and e-brakes and opted to requild the originals.. I was very tempted to go Napa.

I didn't have a need to touch the e-brake other than readjust the tension star washer (which I've heard is self adjusting anyway).

Holy ***t what a difference. I could stop but never in a million years thought I could lock up my wheels during a non-panic stop with this truck.

Parts:

Napa reman calipers F/R - $58.00 F/$62.00 R
Performance brake Slotted rotors - $260.00
MAF Stainless lines
Toyota brake hardware (Clips etc)
NAPA 80 Pads

If you were ever on the fence about this don't be, its well worth the investment. The truck stops better than my 2012 Fusion.

Need to do a rebuild on my '96 LC. I looked on NAPA's web site and can't find anything close to that price. I see:

"Caliper w/ Hdwr Only - Right Front - Remfd" for $234

and

"Caliper w/ Hardware - Right Front (Eclipse Semi-Loaded) - Remfd" for $125

Which one's are you referring to?

Thanks,

Brian

Need to do a rebuild on my '96 LC. I looked on NAPA's web site and can't find anything close to that price. I see:

"Caliper w/ Hdwr Only - Right Front - Remfd" for $234

and

"Caliper w/ Hardware - Right Front (Eclipse Semi-Loaded) - Remfd" for $125

Which one's are you referring to?

Thanks,

Brian

I am referring to the "Eclipse Semi-Loaded". Forget about the website, this is a phone call or physical visit kind of deal. As I mentioned before, the deal is only good with a valid AAA member number (use a buddies).

I am referring to the "Eclipse Semi-Loaded". Forget about the website, this is a phone call or physical visit kind of deal. As I mentioned before, the deal is only good with a valid AAA member number (use a buddies).

Yeah I was planning to pick them up locally, just wanted to confirm the price.

Thanks for all the info.

Brian

Don't get the MAF stainless lines. They are not a direct fit (do not fit into the brackets) and therefore will not accept the clips without grinding. MAF refuses to acknowledge this and will charge full restocking costs upon returning their unsatisfactory product.
cheers,
jan

Don't get the MAF stainless lines. They are not a direct fit (do not fit into the brackets) and therefore will not accept the clips without grinding. MAF refuses to acknowledge this and will charge full restocking costs upon returning their unsatisfactory product.
cheers,
jan

Noted, thanks!

So far my brakes have been excellent. The NAPA coating is holding up very well (I'll wait till winter to make my determination) and the thing continues to stop like a champ. Slotted rotors are also holding up rather well to my wife's formula 1 style of driving.

I own a 40 series, a 62 and an 80.

The 40 and 62 have 4runner calipers and T-100 M/C's and they SUCK compared to the 80 with equally new hardware.

For comparison, both the 62 and 80 have 33's and the far lighter 40 has 37's

I'm replacing both front discs and pads this weekend, looking forward to see if theres much difference. I would have gone the slotted rotors but having them on my old Commodore I know from experience that pads only last 1 year. Stopping is excellent though. I bought after market rotors. They'd better be the same size as OEM..

Especially since even OEM rotors are quite a bit cheaper than those with discount.

Cheaper where, or through who? I got a quote from CDan a few days ago and I'd be looking at $385 before shipping for a set of new OEM rotors, front and rear.

thanks for the response. redoing the whole front end tomorrow. Rebuilding the axle and changing the calipers pads for t100 and new oem rotors. Will be getting the eclipse calipers.

I suggest calling Sam at Lowe Toyota for calipers. I checked a local napa and they wanted almost as much as cost per caliper for a core charge....?.....wtf? Sam was a couple dollars cheaper on the calipers and only a $20 core charge for reman. Even after shipping them back it will be worth it. I don't have to be in a rush, I don't have to worry about some knucklehead giving me the wrong part as my rig sits on stands and Sam is great to deal with.

I have the brake job on the short list.

Congrats to the op for more braking power.

One thing to keep in mind with after-market rebuilt items such as cailpers, they may use OEM castings but they are "rebuilt" with after market seals, gaskets, etc... Toyota rebuilts are rebuilt for Toyota using OEM parts during the rebuilding process. I don't know of this being a big deal with calipers, but I know it is with starters and alternators. Most of the after-market "rebuilt" starters and alternators I've seen for our 80's have had a pretty limited life span.

crooozer, I wouldn't worry about after-market rotors being the same size as OEM, but I'll better they're lighter.

crookdbill said:
changing the calipers pads for t100

I've never heard of someone using pads from a T-100 pickup on an 80. The common substitution on 'mud is UZJ100 Land Cruiser pads on FZJ80 front brakes.

I've never heard of someone using pads from a T-100 pickup on an 80. The common substitution on 'mud is UZJ100 Land Cruiser pads on FZJ80 front brakes.

yeah what you said...:p

Hey Mattnatti. Do you mind me asking how much Sam at lowe Toyota charged for the calipers...Napa has them for 57.99 each with a lifetime warranty after core exchange. I was planning on picking them up in the morning but I'll get the reman toyota ones if the price is right. Thanks

Nevermind...spoke to Sam at Lowe Toyota and got the calipers from them. Thanks Mattnati for the suggestion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom