Brake oil leaked, rear right side (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I am new to this website, just owned a 2003 LX 470 last month. I searched forums but could not find the exact problem. Brakes are really in bad condition and last week I started hearing a grinding noise from rear brakes.

I was going to replace all 4 braked tomorrow but this morning when I was about to take it for a short ride. I drove few yards, all of sudden ABS light turned on and beep started. Braked failed all of sudden. I parked it back in my parking lot. I checked there is no oil left in the reservoir and I can see oil spilled from right side rear wheel. I am not very handy. what could be the problem, can it be brake line or caliper jammed due to bad brake pads ?

Now should I fill the reservoir first before putting new brakes and then start the vehicle. I have a mobile mechanic coming to change brake pads and rotors tomorrow but I can't stop thinking about what has gone wrong. Thank you for replies.

It probably needs a caliper on that wheel, at least. Plus, pads and rotors, of course. Will need to do a full bleeding procedure, with bleeding the ABS. Should probably look at frontpads and rotors too, and see if they've been neglected.

I think the brake pads wore out until metal was grinding against metal, and that got ignored for way too long. When there's no more metal to grind against, the piston pops out of the caliper all the way, and all the fluid leaks out behind it.
The front pads and rotors may very well be fine, since most guys worry about the front brakes way more (they contribute most stopping power, and thus wear more), they tend to change front brakes often and neglect the rear brakes. Or the front brakes could be shot too, who knows?

Now should I fill the reservoir first before putting new brakes and then start the vehicle. I have a mobile mechanic coming to change brake pads and rotors tomorrow but I can't stop thinking about what has gone wrong. Thank you for replies.

No point in adding fluid now. It'll just run right out. I certainly wouldn't drive it anywhere until the brake system is re-sealed and air bubbles bled out. There's a tiny chance that caliper piston is salvageable, but I wouldn't do that.
If you were way out in the bush and desperate, I'd suggest vise-gripping the soft brake line to that rear wheel to clamp it off, topping off the fluid, and getting yourself home. But, the air in the brake lines will make it very soft and unpredictable, and vise grips could pop off and lose brakes again.

It probably needs a caliper on that wheel, at least. Plus, pads and rotors, of course. Will need to do a full bleeding procedure, with bleeding the ABS. Should probably look at frontpads and rotors too, and see if they've been neglected.

I think the brake pads wore out until metal was grinding against metal, and that got ignored for way too long. When there's no more metal to grind against, the piston pops out of the caliper all the way, and all the fluid leaks out behind it.
The front pads and rotors may very well be fine, since most guys worry about the front brakes way more (they contribute most stopping power, and thus wear more), they tend to change front brakes often and neglect the rear brakes. Or the front brakes could be shot too, who knows?

Exactly that's what happened what you just explained. Finally, I was able to replace all 4 rotors and brake pads. Back on road again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom