Brake Master Cylinder Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
When I doing brake line changing work, I'm caught by very foolish confusion.
I was so fool that I didn't take picture.
When thinking about master cylinder, which outlet port is go to front brake?
Is it a front port(near from master cylinder's end) or rear port (near from booster).

If anyony knows, please inform me asap....

Thank you,

Oh, Min Seok

Last edited:
Is there any person who can tell me this ?

I beleive its is the rear(booster side) that goes to the front brakes. But I remember you have front drums.........so that migh tmake it different. But my fj60, fj40 and fj45 with a pickup master all use the rear for the front brakes. I looked at both fj62's but its very hard to follow the hard lines(on firewall)

OK, just spent some time tracing the hard lines on my 1987 fj60. Have no clue whether it's set up like your 62...

There is a main cylinder coming off of the front of the booster. It is oriented front to rear. It has two hard lines coming out of it - pointed towards the drivers side fender. There is a secondary cylinder, mounted perpendicular (pointed left to right) and below the main cylinder. This second cylinder also has two hardlines coming off of it.

Upshot is this:
Front hardline on the main (front to rear) cylinder goes to the fender side of the secondary cylinder, which in turn goes to the front brakes.

Rear hardline on the main cylinder goes to the engine side of the secondary cylinder, which in turn goes to the rear brakes.
brakemaster.jpeg

Landpimp said:
I beleive its is the rear(booster side) that goes to the front brakes. But I remember you have front drums.........so that migh tmake it different. But my fj60, fj40 and fj45 with a pickup master all use the rear for the front brakes. I looked at both fj62's but its very hard to follow the hard lines(on firewall)

Thank you Landpimp and Lovetosky,
The reason why I encountered this problem is I'm doing swapping work from drum brake to disc brake because of difficulty of getting parts and too high price of drum brake parts(brand new OEM master cylinder is about $300 :mad: )

I'm using FJ62's master cylinder, so,it might have same steel tube routing with US FJ62 series
I noticed this problem after I remove brake steel tube completely.. I was so foolish...
Because I didn't take picture, I'm so confused now....
Depending on Lovetosky's reply, front piston of master cylinder(end of master cylinder) works for front brake and rear(booster side) piston works for rear brake. Right ?

If anyone knows this exactly, please help me....

Oh, Min Seok

Last edited:
Exactly. Front is front, rear is rear. You will not have the second valve mentioned on a 62. That is the 60 series proportioning/metering valve. You most likely have a LSVP on your rear axle. Be sure to check the pushrod length on your booster if you are replacing the master. If, as you test drive it and things warm up, you loose all or some pedal top play, you need to shorten the push rod length. If braking seems to be weak on the fronts, you may need to lengthen it. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS.

Mitch

archtimb said:
Exactly. Front is front, rear is rear. You will not have the second valve mentioned on a 62. That is the 60 series proportioning/metering valve. You most likely have a LSVP on your rear axle. Be sure to check the pushrod length on your booster if you are replacing the master. If, as you test drive it and things warm up, you loose all or some pedal top play, you need to shorten the push rod length. If braking seems to be weak on the fronts, you may need to lengthen it. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS.

Mitch

Thank you very much Mitch !
Ok, Front is front, Rear is rear.
My FJ62 had no proportioning valve or LSPV before that I bought US FJ60's proportioning valve.
Because F/R Drum/Drum configuration don't need fluid power adjustment.
It can be achived by shoe/drum clearance adjust.
Until now, I think that front brake operates first and rear last.
but at this time I could get new information that when we push brake pedal, rear brake operates before front brake.
After I finished installing everything and when I was doing final check up, I was so confused that front brake line is connected to front of master cylinder !(Via proportioning valve).
But now I can know that confusion was caused by my previous incorrect knowledge.

Thank you again !

Oh, Min Seok

take a look again at the prop valve under the master.........I was sure it was marked R and F...........and on my 40 and 60.......the rear on the master goes to the F on the prop valve. My fj62's use the same master but without the prop valve............so I assumed it was the same Rear for the front.......but maybe not.

lovetoski said:
OK, just spent some time tracing the hard lines on my 1987 fj60. Have no clue whether it's set up like your 62...

There is a main cylinder coming off of the front of the booster. It is oriented front to rear. It has two hard lines coming out of it - pointed towards the drivers side fender. There is a secondary cylinder, mounted perpendicular (pointed left to right) and below the main cylinder. This second cylinder also has two hardlines coming off of it.

Upshot is this:
Front hardline on the main (front to rear) cylinder goes to the fender side of the secondary cylinder, which in turn goes to the front brakes.

Rear hardline on the main cylinder goes to the engine side of the secondary cylinder, which in turn goes to the rear brakes.

Landpimp said:
take a look again at the prop valve under the master.........I was sure it was marked R and F...........and on my 40 and 60.......the rear on the master goes to the F on the prop valve. My fj62's use the same master but without the prop valve............so I assumed it was the same Rear for the front.......but maybe not.

Emm.... Which is correct...front for front or rear for front....
I don't know.....

Ok, I waited until it was dark outside, that way I could use a flashlight to see more clearly.

There is a "F" and a "R" marked on the proportioning valve on my 60. Can't see them in daylight, but can see with a flashlight.

My original post was correct. The front outlet from the main cylinder goes to the front brakes.

Front to front. Back to back.

I'm positive (on my truck).

And the 62's are the same. I have a pretty hybrid system on mine so I have seen both configurations.

Mitch

lovetoski said:
Ok, I waited until it was dark outside, that way I could use a flashlight to see more clearly.

There is a "F" and a "R" marked on the proportioning valve on my 60. Can't see them in daylight, but can see with a flashlight.

My original post was correct. The front outlet from the main cylinder goes to the front brakes.

It's a kind of question that which wheel brake operates first.(Ignoring p-valve)
When we press the brake pedal, rear of master cylinder piston is pressed and operate first and after that, front piston moves.
Because of above reason, brake line which is connected to rear of master cylinder delivers pressure to wheel caliper or cylinder's piston first.
So, which wheel brake operates first ? Rear or Front? It's question.
I assume that rear wheel operates before front but I don't know exactly.
Thank you,

Oh, Min Seok

wierd..........all mine are backwards then........but I will have to check again this weekend.

lovetoski said:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom