brake master/ booster advice wanted - '70 FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to sort out what to do for a dual circuit master setup in my FJ55 project with a 2FE. I've done some searching but with boosted vs manual, 4 drums vs front disc vs discs all around, various clearance issues, etc in different threads, I'm not getting much closer to an answer.

The truck has 60 axles with front discs and rear drums. The intake on the 2FE doesn't leave much room to play with without shifting the engine mounts to make more room.

IMG_20150509_165134.jpg

I can see three possible routes to pursue.

1) A dual circuit manual system. I have one of Mark's adapters to go from 3 bolt to 4. Wouldn't need much space to fit this. Will a manual master work with a disc/drum system? Will a master from a boosted system do the job with no booster or does a manual system demand a different master? I understand that pedal leverage ratio and master cylinder bore may differ between boosted and manual setups...

2) Shift the engine to the passenger side to clear a booster. It looks like the position of the throttle cable on the firewall would limit booster diameter to about 7.5". I'm sure there is room to shift the engine enough, but is there a Toyota booster this narrow? Both my FJ62 and Camry have boosters 8.5-9" in diameter. Suitable non-Toyota booster?

3) Hydroboost. Judging by my F250 this would be fairly narrow. Would a 62 PS pump run hydroboost alright, or would an upgraded pump/system be needed?

Other suggestions?
Thanks for any help.

I'd run Hydro-boost with a shorter master ie 80 series or a 1" bore master which came on a boosted truck.

I've go no idea on the pump. I'd likely go Saginaw... But i'm also running s sag box.

I'll have to do more looking into hydroboost, it does look like it would be a problem solver and an upgrade at the same time.

For the moment pinning down engine position is the priority. I think I'm going to shift it back make clearance for a clutched fan up front anyway, so I may as well shift it to the side at the same time to make some booster/master room.

Which engine mounts are u using up front? The fj 80 ps mount will still give u ac mount. The fj62 front motor mount rubber pieces provide a bit of offset as well to move it sideways. I slotted the original frame holes to align mine. Used stock tranny bellhousing mounts. If your using the long h42 or a later h42 you can move it as well and use the under trans mount and get rid of the bellhousing mounts. The fj 62 ps motor mount on the engine will fit just takes slotting. I used a different fan on the stock viscous coupling. Have no idea what it was off. It just happened to be in the garage. I'd guess fj40 with viscous coupling fan.

I've got the 62 front mounts on it to suit the accessories I have, and it is dry fit with the stock 3 speed bellhousing mounts right now. I'm thinking of dropping the bellhousing mounts and building a cross member and tranny mount (SM420), but need to stare at it some more once I get the transfer dry fit. I also need to take a closer look at the firewall to make sure there is nothing to stop me from shifting the center portion back to allow engine to slide back.

That looks stupid. I am intrigued. :)

I can take a pic of the fj80 ps mount with a tape for reference.
It fits the ac in the same spot. Just shorter to the hole span. Il try to dig.it out tomorrow

In the 45 its very close but fit. With a 78 firewall grafted in

That would be good, although I'm not too worried about maintaining the AC mount. This will be a trail rig. Are there pics in the thread in your signature line? I'll have to take a peak.

Edit: had a quick look, looks like lots of good stuff in there, will have to have a good look when I have some time. :)

Last edited:
Found half of it. Will look for rest later. Garage is a disaster zone. Not the half that actually matters for your application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom