Brake malfunction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all I have a 98 that I purchased in February in Texas. There was an issue that led me to replace the master cylinder assembly. All has been fine with brakes until recently. A slight leak coming from rebuilt assembly - which was fixed meanwhile my mechanic tells me that MBCA is fine and I need a new abs/wheel speed sensor. The alert for the abs was occasional. It went away for a while. Then it would stay on for short periods but after driving it would disappear. While this happened A slew of issues came up. Started having what appears to be a vacuum issue. With the cruiser idling the roms would drop and raise then stall. If I ran it for a bit then hit the brakes it would stall. Very consistent with the brake. Meanwhile abs code was still on and off.
I proceeded to do the following:
- Remove Airbox clean and replace filter
- broke a nozzle replaced with brass threaded fitting
- clean throttle body
- replace grommet and pcv valve and hoses associated (the were rock hard )

This seems to have stopped the idle fluctuating stalling issue. However I’m now stuck with no brakes. I backed out of my garage made three point turn and brakes don’t function. Abs light with brake light on won’t go off, alarm won’t go away. I have a aftermarket (Holstein) abs sensor coming in tomorrow. Is there any reason I shouldn’t go with Holstein. I prefer oem. But need to know if the abs sensor is the culprit and this seems to be best choice for me right now. What do y’all think? Any knowledge on the matter would be great. Best….

Buy a new assembly. No more problems. These things can’t actually be rebuilt, and any advertisement of a “rebuild” is bulls***.
Thanks - Unfortunately I’m not in a position to do so. The leak has since been resolved. Also unfortunate is I think I got bamboozled by the mechanic who installed it. He was supposed to be a trusted source. When issues started happening I checked out the part number and found I could have had a brand new assembly for less. I’m really pissed about the hole thing but need to work with what I have. Hopefully someone can chime in on the lack of function if related to sensor.

Thanks - Unfortunately I’m not in a position to do so. The leak has since been resolved. Also unfortunate is I think I got bamboozled by the mechanic who installed it. He was supposed to be a trusted source. When issues started happening I checked out the part number and found I could have had a brand new assembly for less. I’m really pissed about the hole thing but need to work with what I have. Hopefully someone can chime in on the lack of function if related to sensor.
A bad wheel speed sensor won’t cause your brakes to completely go out. A malfunctioned booster assembly will. The leak was symptomatic of a deeper problem in the “rebuilt” unit. You need a new, not “rebuilt”, assembly if you want functioning brakes and for the truck to stop screaming at you.

I see your point, ie deeper issue. And understand that when I install the new abs nothing will change. Before I raise hell with the mechanic I’ll see what happens when new abs sensor.

I think knowing what rebuild entails would be helpful. There are folks (like me) who rebuilt (replaced master cylinder piston assembly with new) and it has worked fine. I'm going on year 3 with my rebuild. Of they didn't replace the fluid reservoir grommets at that time it can leak. But replacing them solves the issue.

For the booster motor some folks have put in a new motor. At a time there was actually people rebuilding the motors successfully as well, new bearings and windings.

Helpful to know what components went into your rebuild.

I think knowing what rebuild entails would be helpful. There are folks (like me) who rebuilt (replaced master cylinder piston assembly with new) and it has worked fine. I'm going on year 3 with my rebuild. Of they didn't replace the fluid reservoir grommets at that time it can leak. But replacing them solves the issue.

For the booster motor some folks have put in a new motor. At a time there was actually people rebuilding the motors successfully as well, new bearings and windings.

Helpful to know what components went into your rebuild.
Very helpful insight, I will look into this.

Buy a new assembly. No more problems. These things can’t actually be rebuilt, and any advertisement of a “rebuild” is bulls***.
This. The assemblies had a major price drop recently. In addition, in another thread about Black Friday discounts there's a rumor of an additional 15% off internet price. If your interested, make note of the current price and check it again next week to see if it's 15% cheaper. Some dealers might not participate, find one that does.

I’m not sure which route to go. But will keep the price drop in mind. I found after the fact that I could have had a new assembly for the price I paid for the rebuilt. Hence the bamboozled feeling. The other problem I’m having is this mechanic is sensitive and thinks I’m taking stabs at his work. He’s the only one who’s done work on the brakes. I had it originally replaced because of the hi pitched noise when brakes were activated. This was in Feb 2022 I’m still under warranty but he’s resistant to say yes I can replace it under the warranty. I hate dealing with people like this.

This. The assemblies had a major price drop recently. In addition, in another thread about Black Friday discounts there's a rumor of an additional 15% off internet price. If your interested, make note of the current price and check it again next week to see if it's 15% cheaper. Some dealers might not participate, find one that does.
Thanks I’m not sure which route to go. But will keep the price drop in mind. I found after the fact that I could have had a new assembly for the price I paid for the rebuilt. Hence the bamboozled feeling. The other problem I’m having is this mechanic is sensitive and thinks I’m taking stabs at his work. He’s the only one who’s done work on the brakes. I had it originally replaced because of the hi pitched noise when brakes were activated. This was in Feb 2022 I’m still under warranty but he’s resistant to say yes I can replace it under the warranty. I hate dealing with people like this.

Thanks I’m not sure which route to go. But will keep the price drop in mind. I found after the fact that I could have had a new assembly for the price I paid for the rebuilt. Hence the bamboozled feeling. The other problem I’m having is this mechanic is sensitive and thinks I’m taking stabs at his work. He’s the only one who’s done work on the brakes. I had it originally replaced because of the hi pitched noise when brakes were activated. This was in Feb 2022 I’m still under warranty but he’s resistant to say yes I can replace it under the warranty. I hate dealing with people like this.
It’s your truck, not his. If he won’t honor the warranty that he is legally obligated to, then he’ll have to see you in small claims court. Just make sure the replacement is a new unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom