Brake M/C swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Almost all of us know about the 4runner caliper and MC swap for better breaking. Some of us have even done it.

Here's my question. I'm heading towards the swap and have the larger M/C out of an 80 series. But I'm too poor to afford the calipers right now. Would installing the M/C without the calipers be a bad idea?

I can conjure up some of the problems in my imagination (accelerated rotor or pad wear, ruptured lines, locking up all four at 5 mph!) But does anyone know FOR SURE that I shouldn't take the risk? Or should I be the guinea pig?

No one wants to comment?

Won't make a bit of difference except increased pedal pressure to achieve same decel rate.

Think about it: you're increasing the master cylinder piston diameter - it's like sliding closer to the pivot point on a teeter-totter (doesn't have anything to do with "Your own Tots", whatever THAT means).

Let me know how you make out - particularly whether you use the stock reservoir.

I did the MC one weekend and the calipers the next. My advice, do them together. There is no reason to bleed the system twice. But to answer your question, it just gave me increased pedal pressure. I didn't really notice any more stopping power.

My thinking was that a greater amount of fluid is being sent to the same size caliper creating more pressure, therefore greater pressure applied pad i.e. the rotor.

Well, I guess I'll do it and find out. This will be long term until I can afford the calipers. I'll be using the stock 80 reservoir, is there another option?

"get your own tots" is a line from Napoleon Dynamite.

Tinker said:
Won't make a bit of difference except increased pedal pressure to achieve same decel rate.

Think about it: you're increasing the master cylinder piston diameter - it's like sliding closer to the pivot point on a teeter-totter (doesn't have anything to do with "Your own Tots", whatever THAT means).

Let me know how you make out - particularly whether you use the stock reservoir.

Well, a greater amount of fluid will make a dfference in pedal feel but it will not be a nightmare. Do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom