Brake Lines

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Gus, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Gus

Gus SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I need to replace all the brake and clutch lines on my 79 FJ40, could I make/fab all the lines myself for under $200 (Classic tube sells a complete brake line kit for $185). I'm aware this is a bit of an elementary question, but I've yet to ever deal with this kind of task, thanks in advance for any help???.
    - Gus

2. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    Price the hard lines out at Napa....That's were I got all mine. &nbsp:Don't recall the pricing tho, but a little time with a tape measure and their available lengths should do it.

You'll likely need a flare tool too to get them exactlly right....I use one from Home Depot with good success. The cheapies at AutoZone are junk.

3. zipp

zipp

I did it myself, and believe that it was cheaper than what you stated. Just clean up and re-use your fittings- and buy the new lines and stuff- here's what I did:
    From summitracing.com I bought the stainless brake lines for lifted toy pickups: $70 ( http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EXP-7210 ), 25' of bulk brake line: $13 ( http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-220136 ), and a $30 double flaring tool from a local tool shop (which died on it's last flare... argh.). That was all last August- and just last week, I bought a stainless steel braided clutch hose from man-a-fre for $35 (man-it-ain't-free). As woody said, don't go cheapo for the flare tool. Borrow, or rent, or whatever. But yeah- totalling that up in my head- gets the job done for less than the $185 kit.
    HTH. Zipp.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.