Brake lines for 40 disks

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Jukelemon, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Jukelemon

Jukelemon

Hi all. I want replace my brake lines that attach the calipers to the dist. block on the knuckle i.e. it is the hard line that measures about 8 inches with two male ends.

I would like to make these lines flex type so two questions"

1- Are the firrings 10mm x 1
    2- Who can make them-I have heard hyd. stores will not due to liability.

Thx

2. FLYINGLOW

FLYINGLOW

Go to your parts store and look through the Raybestos catilog. It will show all the different configurations on flexible brake lines. I believe they are 10mm x 1. You may be able to find an adapter for one end if you can't find a male-male line.

Otherwise you are looking at custom lines which will be expensive. Your best be there would be to contact a racing shop or high perf parts store to have them special ordered.

3. dgangle

dgangle total rice

From the tech page: http://www.ih8mud.com/techtrivia.php

I quote:"front axle outer hoses (skips backing plate) - NAPA 38881 (longer) or 38878 (shorter)".

No need for custom lines. I used the short ones and they worked great. If you do go from the caliper to the axle and eliminate the 90* fitting and short hard line, I would be interested in buying the 90* fittings from you.

I do not understand why you feel it is important that the lines from the caliper to the 90* fitting need to flex in the first place. The OE hardline fits in well and does it's job. I used minitruck backing plates that do not have the 90* fitting and thus went directly from the axle to the caliper.

4. Jukelemon

Jukelemon

Thank you.

The reason being that changing out the pads puts undo stress on the hard line. It is a bad design in that way. All newer vehicles have gone to this set up. Moreover, the fittings are old and stripped from a past owner brake job.

5. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    I agree it's a poor design, which is why I also used the shorter replacement hose and ditched the hard line entirely....much simplier than running dual-flex lines (which is what you are trying to do)

there will "never" be a male-to-male brake hose out there, largely because you rotate the line to tighten them, and you can't rotate both without twisting it.

NAPA carries short replacement hard lines, and has an extensive book with hoses you can search thru...again, I'd be shocked if they had one.

I always removed the three 12mm bolts at the backing plate where the hose/hard connect to allow the caliper to swing free. But yer right, this still stresses the hard line some.

6. Jukelemon

Jukelemon

So, the napa line is what you run? That will go from the dist. block on the axle to the caliper correct?

7. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    the NAPA line will run from the axle-side hard line (at the bent metal tab on the axle housing) to the caliper...it eliminates the existing hose, caliper-block, and caliper hard line. I have relocated my existing tabs, and don't recall exactlee where they point, but I think they'll work stock....IIRC, they are located on the backside of the axle and the hard line angles "up" to the backing plate area....

the NAPA book will have cross references for fitting sizes, never a bad idea to triple check them, but it works great on my stock 77 hard lines and both my previous 77 stock calipers and my current 4Runner calipers.

EARLY hard lines are different fitting sizes...like 60's ish....

8. Jukelemon

Jukelemon

Right on. Thanks for the clarification.

9. dgangle

dgangle total rice

Ahh. Interesting. I have never had a OE front disk brake Cruiser so I can understand the issues now. Here are a few pics of my front hoses. BTW, I got this info from Woody in the first place an all credit is due to him, not me.

10. greencruiser

greencruiser

I used banjo fittings from landcruiser clutch master cyls and it worked great and i think theres less stress on lines i also have 4x4 labs hysteer and thats the main reason i used the banjo fittings

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.