Brake line flare fitting starting to weep (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Passenger side front brake line connection between flexible and hard line has recently started to weep. I am guessing I need a new brake line however is there a chance the flare on the hard line has developed some kind of defect? If I replace the flexible line and still have a leak what is the remedy to fix it? Thanks for any advice you can give.

I am guessing I need a new brake line however is there a chance the flare on the hard line has developed some kind of defect?
More likely the hard line has a crack inside the flare nut.
If I replace the flexible line and still have a leak what is the remedy to fix it?
Replace the hard line. Part #4731360242. It costs $7.

How do you know it's brake fluid leaking. I ask, because we see power steering return and or suction hoses weeping and in need of replacement with age very often. This is above the brake hard line to flex line on PS side. So very often brake lines just appears to leak, when actually power steering fluid (ATF)

Typically the flare nut hard line to flex nut, will not just start leaking. Unless some removed or loosened the flare nut. But hard line rusted, it may devolve holes. Or flex line damaged, it will. We find the PS side (all) hard line flare nuts damaged very often, when we do remove them. Seems some issue at factory on PS side of vehicle, with all flare nuts being over tightened, mushrooming the flare nuts.

Flex line damage can accrue with age. But most common damage is due to letting brake caliper hang (dangle) by flex line during as service, where caliper mounting bolts removed.

The way to test/inspect brake line. Is to clean, dry and visually inspect. Have a buddy press brake pedal down hard with IG key turn to on, while inspecting brake lines.

Here's ones very apparently bad (bubble/swell in flex line).
IMG_6958.JPEG

More likely the hard line has a crack inside the flare nut.

Replace the hard line. Part #4731360242. It costs $7.
Thank you, you are totally awesome and part numbers in like 30 seconds!

How do you know it's brake fluid leaking.
I originally thought it might be PS fluid but after cleaning the area and checking back the fluid is clear/yellow-ish not red tinted and is only on the little porch bracket attached to the rail that supports the flex-hardline connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom