Brake Lights Don't work (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. I'm finally getting around to mounting my lights on my truck. I checked the voltage on the light assembally (rear tail lights) pigtail to determine if I had power when the brake light swich was activated. Sure enough there was 12 volts. However, when I connected the assembally, the lights didn't activate, although there was power.

Anyone have an idea why the lights wouldn't activate. BTW I haven't hooked up the grounds for the front lights. Could this be the problem. I gave up for tonight.....

If you do not have a ground, you do not have a complete circuit, and will not get the lamps to light up.

If you do not have a ground, you do not have a complete circuit, and will not get the lamps to light up.

I thought that was the culprit.

Where is the ground for the tail lights? Seems there are only power wires.

Do I have to complete the grounding for the entire light system. Is this toyota related? Becasue in the painless manuel it says that the ground should be complete within the tail light assembally.

Usually the taillight housing is your ground. Make sure you have a good clean connection to your body/bumper where it bolts up. Also, check your ground to your frame, sometimes you may have to have a ground strap from your body to your frame, I did on mine.

Kevin

Last edited:
Usually the taillight housing is your ground. Make sure you have a good clean connection to your body/bumper where it bolts up. Also, check your ground to your frame, sometimes you may have to have a ground strap from your body to your frame, I did on mine.

Kevin

Kevin,

So the assembally has to be mounted in before it's grounded?

Thanks,

Jeff.

Most aftermarket lights will use the screw you use to mount them as a ground. Personally I don't like this method, because you have to screw them into your body (a) and (b) it's a lot easier for mud and corosion and other bs to get in your way

easiest thing to do is soder your own ground wire to the ground that the mounting screw would pass through and then either ground that somewhere, or even better, splice it into a ground wire.

an easy way to check is this would solve your problem is to turn tail lights on and hook up power, then hold wire from ground in light to ground - if you get light, then it's a grounding issue - all you have to do is complete the circuit

how's that for long winded - :beer: ground you s*** and all will be wonderful
hth
b

Okay, I have another question about ground of the brake light assembally. Does the assembally have to be mount into the bumper for finaly grounding?

Also, where is the ground wire in the assembally.

Need imput...

Does the assembally have to be mount into the bumper for finaly grounding?

Also, where is the ground wire in the assembally.

Need imput...

Yes.

There is no wire. Like many other circuits on the Cruiser, the housing is the ground and it needs a solid contact with the bumper to complete the circuit. Adding a ground wire can help prevent problems down the line.

Well I finished installing the brake light assembally. Everything works great (From dash to brake lights, to turns and hazzards). Stupid grounds.

Tomorrow I'll finish wiring the front and be good to go.

Thanks for the help!

I'm almost done with my Truck. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself....

Actually tlcruiser66 is right, why don't you try it and if the problem still persist better contact a mechanic so that he can help you out with your Toyota Lights

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom