brake light switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
on my 71 fj my brake lights and blinkers are wired to different lights, in my attempt to bring them back to stock i noticed that there is somthing i think is a pressure switch on the master cylinder, i dont think that this is stock, its a little cap on the bottom of the master cylinder with one wire goin in that is hot, and one coming out that goes back to the brakes and is hot when the brake is depressed. this is not the stock setup is it? i thought that there was some sort of brake light switch inside by the pedal. if this is not stock than what would be the advantage of this setup. i am confused by the PO's actions. thanks!

its been a while since ive worked on the wiring on my 71, but i believe those wires are to make the brake light come on when the brake fluid is low.
the wires should go into a plug with the parking brake wire, brake wires, etc.

dont remember what color they were.

If you have these old style of master cylinders, then the hydraulically-activated brake light switch on the end of it is correct. (That is, unless your PO somehow got to mine, too. ;) )
BrakeMaster.jpg

Last edited:
my truck has one master cylinder with two resevoirs, it doesnt look like the pic above, could it be that the po somhow changed the low fluid switch into the brake light switch, it doesnt hook to any other wires just one wire from power and one to the brakes.

That switch that you are talking about is not your brake switch. The switch for the brake lights is under the dash, right up by the pedal pivot...

staplebus said:
my truck has one master cylinder with two resevoirs, it doesnt look like the pic above

Then your switch is probably under the dash. The above pic is a 1959 FJ25 where the brake light switch actually was on the tip of the M/C, rather than on the pedal itself (long before fluid warning lights came around).

On the master you have there are two "caps" on the bottom of the unit. One for each resivor. There are two Green / White wires that slip on to the caps. Same type of connection as the oil pressure sender. They do infact make the red brake light on the dash come on when the fluid is low.

Red brake light is next door to the ignition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom