brake light on 1996 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I have let my wife drive my 80 for 3 days now and she sends me a text saying the brake light is on. She sent me a picture - it is like the emergency brake light. She swears that the E-brake is not on and the lever is pushed all the way down.

What could this be an indication of?

Did she break it already? :doh:

I had a feeling it would be something like that. I just fixed the oil pump gasket - lol. I won't be home again until friday to look at master cyl.

Thanks a ton

take care

That light is connected to two sensors, the parking brake, and the reservoir level. So it is one of those two, or a short.

Imagine that, I awoke to this exact same problem this morning. It doesn't feel like the brake is dragging when driving. I'll check the fluid level and report back.. thanks for the info.

EDIT: You guys were spot on, as usual. I'll top off the fluid on lunch break today and see if the light goes away.

Last edited:
Just a reminder...if you are going to top-off the brake fluid, check the thickness of the brake pads - they may be getting to the point of needing to be changed out.

Just a reminder...if you are going to top-off the brake fluid, check the thickness of the brake pads - they may be getting to the point of needing to be changed out.

x2

Unless the system is leaking or you boiled off brake fluid, you can't really "lose" fluid. So if you need to top off your brake fluid, it's likely that the reason is due to your pads being worn.

interesting that i have the same issue but my master cylinder is full and the e-brake is not on. What else should one check? It does correct itself after restarting on a random basis. I'm sure it's not random but unsure of the cause!

Like I said above, it can only be three things. The reservoir sensor, the parking brake sensor, or a short. My money would be on the reservoir sensor. Take the cap off, clean and manipulate the float/sensor, and that might take care of it.

X2 with firetruck41... Your sensor in the reservoir may be bad. Disconnect the sensor and see if the light goes out for a quick and easy check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom