Brake light--I'm stumped (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I finally got everything electrical working in my '71 FJ40. It was all good for awhile until a few days ago when my left rear brake light stopped working. Usually I like the challenge of figuring out these electrical issues but I'm totally stumped by this one...
Everything else works: the right rear brake light, all hazards flash, all turn signals flash, all parking lights work. Just the left rear brake light doesn't light up.
The light housing was cracked so I decided to replace it, and thought that just maybe a new unit would solve the problem somehow. It didn't.
I've checked the bulbs and checked the grounds.
Has anyone ever had this issue?

Trace the wire from front to back with a 12 volt continuity light, when it quits working you found your problem. Mike

is the bulb seated correctly ? mine wiggle loose with time - and they are directional

is the bulb seated correctly ? mine wiggle loose with time - and they are directional

It's a brand new light and bulb. I actually thought that that might have been the issue cuz the old socket was kinda wanky. But now it's a solid connection.

Trace the wire from front to back with a 12 volt continuity light, when it quits working you found your problem. Mike

I guess this is what I'll have to do, although I just don't get how one day it works, the next it doesn't.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Fixed it

Thought I'd post the fix in case it helps anyone out...

Upon closer inspection of the wiring diagram, I decided the problem had to be in the neighborhood of the turn signal switch. I was checking each connector for voltage as I pressed the brake pedal, and one was really hard to pull apart. I finally got it separated, added some dielectric grease, and voila! It didn't even look manky. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom