Brake light bulb replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Before I break something, is there a trick to removing the tail light (the one on the rear quarter panel, not the tail gate)? According to the owner's manual excellent Ikea style illustration there are only 2 screws and it should just pop out, but mine seems hung up on something towards the front.

Thanks in advance for the help and the inevitable harassment :grinpimp:

two screws and then push on the lip facing the tailgate, with slight force, and the two pressure clips on the light that go into the side 1/4 panel will pop out.

if you have problems still ill go take a picture, its a very easy proceedure.

here, first pic shows how you should push it, and then 2 and 3 show the clips that you cant see that are holding it in.

tail1.jpg

tail2.jpg

tail3.jpg

this sums it up well
Now that you have the two screws off, just take the palm of your hand and smack the edge of the light (the edge being the part that is exposed next to the tailgate opening, where you removed the two screws). I like to hold the lens with my other hand to prevent it from pivoting on the snap-pins (and also to keep it from falling). Basically you want to move the whole lens sideways away from the fender, & try to keep it from pivoting or twisting.

I wouldn’t recommend prying against the fender and lens. My plastic keepers on the fender broke and got new ones from C’Dan. The two snap in keepers that hold the lens in place on the fender are pretty tight I would think some dielectric grease will help with installation and future removal.

We probably should put this in the FAQ, before more people bust there lenses.

Dean

I had to wedge a plastic putty knife in between the lens and the quarter panel to pop mine out. I held my breath doing it, but it popped right out...no scars.

Last edited:
If you ever have to take the panel off the tailgate, the use of a grilling fork works great. You can slide the flat prongs on both sides of the plastic rivet and pry up. It applies pressure right where the rivet it and does not pull the rivet away from the panel. Worked well for me.

tail gate panel

If you ever have to take the panel off the tailgate, the use of a grilling fork works great. You can slide the flat prongs on both sides of the plastic rivet and pry up. It applies pressure right where the rivet it and does not pull the rivet away from the panel. Worked well for me.

Turns out that I had a bulb out here as well-- the grilling fork suggestion worked great. It didn't even scratch the paint. Thanks guys.:beer:

And as always, it is better/easier to do this (working with plastic snaps/clips) when they are a bit warmer. If too cold, they risk breaking.

But, I feel your pain. I scratched my head a few years ago when trying to get the rear light off. Actually thought I had broken it when it decided to snap out.

sigh I too need to replace a tailgate lamp assembly. since i don't yet have an FSM, would anyone here be kind enough to elaborate on how one pops it off?

two screws and then push on the lip facing the tailgate, with slight force, and the two pressure clips on the light that go into the side 1/4 panel will pop out.

1602554705528.png

1602554848131.png

1602554861672.png

Thx @SmoothLC !
I also have to do the tailgate one and I see the post above that mentions the grilling fork, I can try that for that one too!
I appreciate all y'alls help!
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom