Brake ligbt fuse blowing. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys got an issue with my brake lights.
So someone had done a pretty poor job of wiring in the trailer connector and water had got in and corroded the wiring.
Ive cut the factory loom off by the earth up under the tailgate and rewired across to the right hand side and everythings working except the brake lights.
I disconnected the entire rear harness at the plug in the left rear quater and still have issues with it blowing.
I got a new brakelight switch and that hasn't helped the issue.
So from what I can figure it seems to be somewhere between the switch and the rear harness connector.
Anyone had a similar issue?
Ive had a search and most seem to be trailer wiring issues witch mine dosnt seem to be.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Dale

Hey guys got an issue with my brake lights.
So someone had done a pretty poor job of wiring in the trailer connector and water had got in and corroded the wiring.
Ive cut the factory loom off by the earth up under the tailgate and rewired across to the right hand side and everythings working except the brake lights.
I disconnected the entire rear harness at the plug in the left rear quater and still have issues with it blowing.
I got a new brakelight switch and that hasn't helped the issue.
So from what I can figure it seems to be somewhere between the switch and the rear harness connector.
Anyone had a similar issue?
Ive had a search and most seem to be trailer wiring issues witch mine dosnt seem to be.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Dale
Update* I ran a wire from the side of the brakelight fuse thats working to confirm the lights themselves are working.
They are

Update* I ran a wire from the side of the brakelight fuse thats working to confirm the lights themselves are working.
They are
you are putting this 12v power into an unplugged bulbs socket and the other two lights come on? same result on both sides?

you are putting this 12v power into an unplugged bulbs socket and the other two lights come on? same result on both sides?
I'm putting it into the brake positive pin on the back of the tail light assembly loom

And you are fairly certain the sketchy installed towing connector stop light signal was spliced at the rear quarter panel, not somewhere further up? because that wire could be shorting to ground. perhap a continuity check between body ground and the brake positive pin on the other side of the harness (away from the brake lights) would affirm the short. then check for ground continuity at both terminals of the stop light switch harness. hopefully its the wire that goes back towards the fuse block, otherwise the wire could be shorting at a multitude of locations, ECT ECU ABS ECU, Engine ECU, cruise control ecu

and all three light up no problem?
I did left and right individually.
The main connectors to hard to get at with the draws in.
Like I said though I did manage to unplug that main connector and the fuse still blew with all the rear light wiring unplugged so its a fairly safe bet its all OK and the faults elsewhere.
Looks like there 4 wires going to the brake light switch?
I figured there would jut be positive from fusebox and positive out to the lights?

Green with orange stripe is from the fuse box and green with white stripe is to the lights, are the two to check.
2021-08-08_00h00_13.png

Also what year is your LC? that is the diagram for the later models. I'm unsure of the differences

And you are fairly certain the sketchy installed towing connector stop light signal was spliced at the rear quarter panel, not somewhere further up? because that wire could be shorting to ground. perhap a continuity check between body ground and the brake positive pin on the other side of the harness (away from the brake lights) would affirm the short. then check for ground continuity at both terminals of the stop light switch harness. hopefully its the wire that goes back towards the fuse block, otherwise the wire could be shorting at a multitude of locations, ECT ECU ABS ECU, Engine ECU, cruise control ecu
Yes it was spliced in the right rear quater by a mate but had originally been done under the car.
I got rid of it all and rewired it and im confident its all good now.
Its a 94 manual so no ect , no abs and I have no factory ecu.
Its been replaced with a haltech.
Does the brake signal go through the ecu?
Thats possibly an issue

Green with orange stripe is from the fuse box and green with white stripe is to the lights, are the two to check. View attachment 2753297
Thanks Nick.
Its starting to get dark so I'll have a look to.orrow.
If I put a new fuse in i have power to the switch plug on one wire so I think its more likely to be the wire running back to the lights....unfortunately...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom