Brake job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Replaced the pads and rotors on my 99 LC yesterday. They were the originals. I used Bembro rotors and OEM pads from Sumitomo (SEI) Brake Systems, INC.
The right side took us a 2-3 hours as my buddy and I had never worked on a 4WD before. The drivers side took about 90 minutes.
Some tips.
Start early and park where you have plenty of light. We found out there is little place to hang a drop light.
Spray all the bolts with liquid wrench prior to starting.
Get a brass hammer and punch to remove the cone washers when removing the flange from the hub. It will take some pretty good licks to knock them loose.
To remove the bolts that hold the rotor to the hub, we put 2 lug nuts back on the studs then wedged the jack handle between them to hold a backup while loosening the rotor bolts. They are pretty tight after 8 years and 118K.
After installing the pads on the passenger side after installing the new rotor, we found out it was easier to replace the pads in the calipers before removing the old rotor when we did the drivers side. That way we didn't have to worry about scarring or getting the new rotor dirty.
The best source I could find for step by step removal instructions with clear pictures of the process is the PDF file by StopTech. It is the Installation instructions for Toyota Land Cruiser and Lexus LX 470 for the Front Big Brake Upgrade.
Refer to Chiltons for torque values.

On another note, I had my local Toyota dealer replace my timing belt, serpentine belt and coolant a couple of days ago. The two area Toyota service managers both assured me the the 2UZ FE engine is a Tolerance engine and would suffer no damage should the belt break. However, the cost of being towed in if the belt broke in the back country of Big Bend National Park would probably be higher than the replacement service cost me. It also gives considerable peace of mind.
I'm now changing gear box fluids and will do transmission and transfer case the next available weekend.
I replaced the shocks with Bilstein HD's about a month ago. I feel the car is ready for another 100K now.

The two area Toyota service managers both assured me the the 2UZ FE engine is a Tolerance engine and would suffer no damage should the belt break.

Call them back and tell them to do their homework. According to both C-Dan and the all-knowing John Hocker, this is an inteference-fit engine.

Call them back and tell them to do their homework. According to both C-Dan and the all-knowing John Hocker, this is an inteference-fit engine.

And the FSM states this too.

The two area Toyota service managers both assured me the the 2UZ FE engine is a Tolerance engine and would suffer no damage should the belt break.

If this were a Land Cruiser specific item it wouldn't bother me so much (low numbers ect..) but the 4.7L engine is in several of Toyota's current lead products and the anchor for their light truck program. How can the dealer service departments be so badly informed about them?

9toys - Welcome to the board.

If this were a Land Cruiser specific item it wouldn't bother me so much (low numbers ect..) but the 4.7L engine is in several of Toyota's current lead products and the anchor for their light truck program. How can the dealer service departments be so badly informed about them?

It is scary that they are this misinformed about whether the engine is interference or not. For someone like me, who likes to do the small things on the vehicle myself and take it to the shop for tougher things, it is scary.

here is a link to Gates' description on timing belt interfence/non interference engines. The link at the bottom of the article gives a list of the status of most current engines.
That is what convinced me to change mine...in spite of all the conflicting opinions we all read and hear.
http://www.familycar.com/CarCare/TimingBelt.htm

I've been on this site for several years and have never heard of anyone having a failure of a timing belt or heard about the pistons crashing into the valves :)

I've been on this site for several years and have never heard of anyone having a failure of a timing belt or heard about the pistons crashing into the valves :)

True - but I'll wager the first time for both will be in the same post.:D

And the poor soul will say my mechanic/dealer/friend said the t-belt service was no big deal because all Toyotas are non-interference.

Any time a demanding occupation has lower barriers to entry and higher turnover, the folks working there tend to be less experienced & knowledgeable about the product/service.

This surprises anyone?

The only thing that annoys me is when the Service Advisor/Manager lies to me, to cover his lack of knowledge. Now THAT is downright unacceptable, but too common.

Now, to tell you that the engine is non-interference, when he has not verified it - that is "gray-area" imo. The correct way to handle it is to say "I'm not sure, but hang on and I'll confirm it.", then look it up in FSM or similar documentation.

Last edited:
On another note, I had my local Toyota dealer replace my timing belt, serpentine belt and coolant a couple of days ago. .

What did this cost you? THX.

The only thing that annoys me is when the Service Advisor/Manager lies to me, to cover his lack of knowledge. Now THAT is downright unacceptable, but too common.

Agree - I don't expect them to have this knowledge memorized. But to guess rather than to look it up and get the customer the right info is wrong.

Worse is to know so little that you don't even know what you don't know. (I think Rumsfeld called this the "Unknown Unknowns" problem and left the press core in a daze.)

The timing belt, serpentine, and coolant cost $465.00. I didn't have any coupons. Anther dealer was going to change all hoses at the same time and charge me $785.00. I think I can do the hoses myself.
I've now changed the front differential fluid and still have the transfer case and transmission to go. Still deliberating on whether to change the filter(screen) or just drop the pan/clean, and change fluid. I think the time I had the dealer change the fluid, all they did was drain and refill as it was only $50.00 for service. It's shifting fine but has been about 40K since last service.
By the way, I'm not critical of SM's error on Interfence. I don't know everything about my job either and have been doing it 30 years. I believe it is as much my responsibility to find out things that can be important myself. Several opinions are always considered.
Also, I've never known anyone that has broken a timing belt either, let alone had their engine suffer any damage. I changed mine for peace of mind. I take $20-$30K worth of camera gear to some pretty remote places in Big Bend National Park and would hate to have to leave it while I walked out for help.
Other breakdowns can happen, but I like to minimize the risks of those that I can. As I said before. the towing charge would be as high as the Belt service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom