Brake Job - What Else Should I Do (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took the family up and down the Kern River and Sequoia and ended up cooking my brakes which had me worried during downhill descents. I'm going to swap out the rotors, pads, and flush the brake fluid (should I also flush the brake booster). Are there any other preventive services I should do like service my hubs and bearings while I'm having the brakes replaced.

Thanks

I took the family up and down the Kern River and Sequoia and ended up cooking my brakes which had me worried during downhill descents. I'm going to swap out the rotors, pads, and flush the brake fluid (should I also flush the brake booster). Are there any other preventive services I should do like service my hubs and bearings while I'm having the brakes replaced.

Thanks
I would consider replacing all 6 brake hoses, if you haven't gone through this process yet since owning your Cruiser. Slee makes a nice brake hose replacement kit that includes all the hardware necessary to perform the replacement.

Depends on your mileage and previous maintenance, but the front bearings/hubs are definitely a good "while you're in there" for the front end. But, before you throw all that at it, I'd check that you in fact need to replace all of that.

The brake booster will be flushed during a normal brake flush.

If you’re replacing all 4 rotors, it’s a good time for repacking the wheel bearings and rebuilding the handbrake if necessary. Could also reboot the cv axles and regrease the spindle needle bearings, but those will take slightly more digging.

Also an opportune time to replace any lug nuts with thread damage, and to replace ball joints as well as shocks/springs/tie rods/bushings.

Make sure to torque the 2x caliper boltson each front brake calipers to factory spec. For insurance, you can also use blue loctite to guarantee it wont get loose. Learned this the hard way. I was just lucky there was a ACE hardware store near me when the caliper bolts came loose and lost it.

Here is a photo of one of my front brake hoses from a couple years ago, which I noticed during a tire rotation. It wasn’t leaking yet..... I think I got really lucky catching it and replacing all the brake lines before it burst. I replaced with some NAPA off the shelf lines at the time to get on the road again, and I just replaced with the Slee stainless brake line kit this weekend. Definitely suggest looking at all the hoses and not to forget the two center hoses towards the back of the vehicle. Good Luck!
1621284816339.jpeg

Thank you everyone for all the awesome help. I'll be placing an order for the slee brake line hoses and will make a note to myself to check the e brakes and repack the bearings.

I was going to order the brake lines last night from slee but they're out of stock for my 1999, is there another vendor or source that I can get these brake lines from as I'm trying to get my family and the truck back on another trip (TJ to Vancouver) in a month or so when the Canadian borders are open.

Thanks

I was going to order the brake lines last night from slee but they're out of stock for my 1999, is there another vendor or source that I can get these brake lines from as I'm trying to get my family and the truck back on another trip (TJ to Vancouver) in a month or so when the Canadian borders are open.

Thanks
It looks like @cruiseroutfit has one in stock

Please also buy a new front brake pad shim kit, and caliper slide pins and anti-rattle clips. All OEM. It will make the next service after this one MUCH easier.

I was quoted about 2k for the full brake job with parts. I priced out the oem pads and rotors and they were like 600 dollars. Is 1400 in labor for a brake job and flush a fair price?

Last edited:
A brake job is not that hard if you can even lightly wrench. I changed out front pads, rear pads, rear rotors, rear calipers and flushed for around $300.00 and a Saturday morning. Of course this isn't with OEM stuff but, in this case I don't think OEM is much better than stuff you can find on RockAuto (other than maybe the calipers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom