Brake issue.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.overlandinthesun.com
So my overland HJ60 is suffering from some brake issues...

Most of the time the brakes are OK (junctions, roundabouts etc), but if you need to brake very quickly I feel like the pedal is going to the floor.

It does have resistance and the brakes do work - but not as well as I would like.

So far what we have done;

Changed the brake fluid (twice and bled again after the second fluid change) there is no air in it and the brake fluid was from new good quality containers.

Pads are in good condition, free from oil etc.

Discs and drums are also good.

Flexible lines look to be in good condition. There are no leeks as the fluid is not going down.

All the cylinders / calipers where rebuilt before I left the UK.

So the only other places are the master cylinder or brake booster.

I'm in Kenya, Africa at the moment so please don't tell me to go to a garage with lots of tools and equipment! It needs to be something I can do myself.

Thanks

I will check both - I think I might rebuild the master cylinder as a matter of course.

I have the weight balance front rear thing- could a problem have developed with this? It doesn't leak and the brakes used to be OK

That is the one!

Not sure how it could give the problems I am experiencing without leaking - unless anyone knows any different!

I've recently dealt with a similar situation. New calipers, soft lines, recently rebuilt rear brakes and a master cylinder that had been functioning fine until the system was bled when the calipers and lines were replaced. After that little to no rear braking, although the fronts were working. I replaced the master cylinder and corrected the issue. The master cylinder had 200-250k miles on it and I think while bleeding it the internal seals went out.

Other things to consider:

did you bleed the load sensing proportioning valve? It should be bled last in the procedure.

Are your rear brakes adjusted properly. You should try manually adjusting them, not just relying upon using the hand brake.

Yea i did bleed the valve, but will check the rear brakes again.

It seams like it could be a problem with the master cylinder - hope I can find a rebuilt kit here!

Does anyone know if late master cylinders with the bigger reserve fit early smaller reserve models? Or do Hilux ones fit? Just want to check as I may not have all the options I want!

A quick adjustment of the rear brake shoes works wonders on the 60's brake system. What you are describing is very typical of the need for a rear adjustment.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Thanks for the tips, I adjusted the rear brakes which made things a little better - but still not right so I have bought myself a new master cylinder. Was only $40! New part (though not genuine) but seams decent. I will then rebuild the old one as a spare. Good old Africa

Qwenly, it seems that you have two threads about this break issue. I posted in the other one, but now it seems that you have it sorted. However, my offer still stands if it would help you.

Rodney

Also quickly check whether there is any play in the wheel bearings by jacking up the truck and wiggling the wheels. If there is play it will move your calipers apart over time and during curves, which will result in rather random play in the pedal.
j

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom