Brake Issue on my BJ75 Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After my first stop today, I started up the truck and released the parking brake, and as I pulled out of the parking lot, I noticed the parking brake light was still illuminated on the instrument panel. But, the parking brake was down. I jiggled the parking brake lever up and down, but the light stayed on. I pulled over, removed the parking brake boot and disconnected the parking brake switch at the connector. The light stayed on. The light turns off when the truck is off.

If the parking brake switch were faulty, would unplugging the parking brake switch actually turn off the light on the instrument panel? How does this switch work?

The part number for this switch is: 84550-24010

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 10.13.38.png

One would reason that the light would go out if there is no power to it🤷‍♂️ looking at the picture and wire color it looks like the switch provides ground to the light. If the light stays on when you unplug it then I would assume there is a wire grounding out somewhere

I don't know if it's the same in a BJ75, but my Prado has a sensor on the vacuum reservoir that will trigger the light if the vacuum falls below a certain level. Perhaps you have a vacuum leak or that sensor has failed/short circuited?

Fellers, recall this? Clunk / Sinking brake pedal - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/clunk-sinking-brake-pedal.1147100/

I just noticed that the brake fluid level in resevoir was below the float, which is why the brake light was on. After putting more brake fluid in, I now have air in the brake lines. I will have to bleed the system.

What could cause this sinking pedal action, that could also cause brake fluid loss? The clunk that you hear in the video sounds like it's coming from the rear.

What could cause this sinking pedal action, that could also cause brake fluid loss?
Usually its the master cylinder , caliper or slave cylinder

Usually its the master cylinder , caliper or slave cylinder

The brake master cylinder is brand new. The slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder and clutch line are all new, but those are a separate system in my case.

In any case I will bleed the system and check for leaks! I’ll find it and report back 🤡

I had this problem in the FJ73 I owned. The float contraption in the brake fluid reservoir was bad and just needed to be replaced to solve the problem. I think it is part of the whole cap that goes on top.

I had this problem in the FJ73 I owned. The float contraption in the brake fluid reservoir was bad and just needed to be replaced to solve the problem. I think it is part of the whole cap that goes on top.
Thanks. I am certain that this is not my problem. I had to add 300 mL of brake fluid, and then, the float worked as it should. The float is functioning as it should.

Everyone, I found the culprit. One of the hard brake lines that runs along the inside of the frame has a hole in it. I did not know that was even possible.

There are two brake lines that run to the rear.

I am pretty sure that they are called:
Tube Rear Brake No 1: 47322-60380
and
Tube Rear Brake No 2: 47323-60300

Can someone please confirm these are the correct part names? These are the part numbers that show up on ToyoDIY for my specific VIN/vehicle.

They are available from Megazip, which sounds like a better option that trying to bend new lines myself. Please let me know if you strongly encourage I replace other brake lines at this time, and specifically, which ones.

I would get any hard lines you can get, but I doubt you can get all of them, I have tried and failed. If you can get any please post up the part numbers and where you bought them from, after you get them ;)

Have you, as a result, gone forward with making your own hard lines? I realize that it's not rocket science, but I can imagine that it's worth the money to find them pre-made.

I'll order some if I can get confirmation from folks on which lines are which. The description of No 1, No 2...etc is not particularly helpful.

I tried buying the hard lines on the axles but was not able to find them. I bought some for newer models hoping they would be the same and they aren't. I haven't made new lines yet since mine are still "good". I have made new lines for the hard lines that come from the brake booster thing across the firewall to the where the hard lines connect to the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom