Brake issue and I’m in Canada 😝 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hear a puff of air when I hit the brakes and I’m thinking it’s coming from this baflle looking thing and the peddle is stiff as hell! Im like 700 miles from home in Ontario Canada lmao 🤣. Any. Ideas gentlemen?

2AC55A69-9B9D-4949-8B3E-106A66302E65.jpeg

Booster is leaking.

That’s what it feels like, really have to stomp the pedal to get it to bite. Driving home 700+ miles should be fun!:bang:
Hurry up and fix it ASAP. Then post a detailed thread that makes the FSM look like Latin. Word is, I might have 1 or 2 to replace, also.

I got plenty of fluid
Has nothing to do with your master cylinder unless you have a slow leak going inside the booster causing the failure, one side of your booster is vacuum and the other is atmospheric pressure this is why you get that soft pedal brake assist.

Has nothing to do with your master cylinder unless you have a slow leak going inside the booster causing the failure, one side of your booster is vacuum and the other is atmospheric pressure this is why you get that soft pedal brake assist.
Yup, no soft pedal assist!

Under the hood.
On the booster. The large round thing mounted to the firewall. You will see the master cylinder that has the fluid in it. You also have some vacuum hoses going to the booster. They need to be connected. Follow them and see if they have cracks or are disconnected from the other end. It's probably just 1 hose but I don't look at 80 engine bays often.

There is also a check valve on the booster. This has a grommet that can get brittle and leak. The booster needs to be air tight.
If the main vacuum line on the booster is in good shape and the check valve and grommet are in good shape, then the diaphragm inside the booster has failed and the booster needs to be replaced.
What year is your truck?

97 FZJ80 Brake boosters are still available from Toyota (44610-60792) but they are $600.
Yup, it’s a 97. I remember hearing the booster was more $$ than the master cylinder. I’ll take a look when I get back to the truck tomorrow. Thanks

Keep in mind that a used booster will have a limited life span. The diaphragm will dry out over time. Short term replacement.
I'm not suggesting that you spring for the OEM replacement, but just beware.
Being able to stop is way more important than being able to go.
The OEM master is about $200. I had to replace mine 2 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom