Brake help please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a blown rear cylinder on my 67 FJ-40. I replaced everything on the rear including 4 new cylinders. Front end has a mini truck disc conversion. Everything was filthy inside of both sides of the rear when I swapped in the new parts.

The pedal now actuates alot closer to the floorboard than before the rear brake job. You can pump the pedal several times and it gets tight near the top like it used to. Constant pressure on the pedal shows no fade just lower than before. I think I might be moving more fluid now that I replaced all the wheel cylinders on the rear???? Thoughts

I was going to replace the master cylinder but I am having trouble identifing it. I compared it to a 79 minitruck and it is identical except the hard brake line connection is on the opposite side. My rig has a brake booster so I assume the previous owner replaced the original unit with some late madel item during the mini truck conversion.

I am planning on driving it for a while to let the new pads and drums find their good spot. Any ideas on my master cylinder? New minitruck unit is only $29 from Kragen. I think I could just re-route the hard line to the other side.

Thanks, Troy in Tahoe

You probably need to expand the drums.

troyintahoe said:
I
The pedal now actuates alot closer to the floorboard than before the rear brake job. You can pump the pedal several times and it gets tight near the top like it used to. Constant pressure on the pedal shows no fade just lower than before. I think I might be moving more fluid now that I replaced all the wheel cylinders on the rear???? Thoughts

The brakes just need adjusting (tighter). turn the adjuster until in locks the drum and them loosen it 2-3 clicks until you can just spin the wheel with one strong pull.

Need new mc

Brakes have gotton worse now. I have fade and it looks like I need a new master cylinder on this set up. Any suggestions on What year of mini truck master cylinder to use??

I am planning to replace it tomorrow.

Fade is a heat-related reduction in friction. Did you surface the rotors and arc the brake shoes? What makes you thing the master is bad? I would use a cruiser master from '76 to '83. I don't know that a mini master has the proper fluid capacidy for the rear drums.

Pretty much any of the toyota master cylinders will fit all the toyota brake boosters. Just if you get the 78 style I think it has fittings for brake warning lights that will need to be plugged. The problem is you cant plug them unless you have a metric pipe plug or get the sending units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom