Brake/Hazard/Turn Signal Wiring Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,
I put a new OEM style wiring harness from Mark in this 1970 FJ40. I am now having an issue where the turn signal indicators light up when the brake pedal is pressed and the brake lights do not light up. The brake lights will light if the Hazard switch is pulled out, but the hazards do not work. All other lights work on the vehicle even turn signals when the hazard switch is pushed in. I have made a video(Link Below) any Help is greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone,
I put a new OEM style wiring harness from Mark in this 1970 FJ40. I am now having an issue where the turn signal indicators light up when the brake pedal is pressed and the brake lights do not light up. The brake lights will light if the Hazard switch is pulled out, but the hazards do not work. All other lights work on the vehicle even turn signals when the hazard switch is pushed in. I have made a video(Link Below) any Help is greatly appreciated.

@kevos37

Anyone ever have this issue before?

Mark can you please give us your thoughts on this? If you could call David 503-502-9859 to discuss possible issues. Dave is installing the harness for me and we are on the last circuit. Need to have your recommendations please. Thank you, Scott

Has anyone talked to Coolerman? I hope he is doing ok. I have reached out to him but haven't heard from him. Maybe he's out of town. I hope he is doing well. Thanks

Can anyone help on this?

I
Can anyone help on this?
I’d check your grounds and make sure they are on bare metal. Also, the system needs all of the turn signals/brake lights hooked up to work properly. Without the grounds hooked up properly, some crazy stuff happens, my fuel pump will fire up when I use the turn signal switch. Running ground jumpers helps too.

I think I have all the grounds in place. All the lights work. Am I missing a ground under the dash?

I

I’d check your grounds and make sure they are on bare metal. Also, the system needs all of the turn signals/brake lights hooked up to work properly. Without the grounds hooked up properly, some crazy stuff happens, my fuel pump will fire up when I use the turn signal switch. Running ground jumpers helps too.
All the lights work, so those grounds are good. I'm wondering if I am missing a ground under the dash?

Don't know if these will help you figure this out or not. I know they are terrible hand drawings but they are for me not for publication. 🤣

This is a 1972 Hazard switch pin out. Hopefully you cut off the mating pigtail from the old harness to make splicing easier?

View attachment 1921409

This is the turn signal switch pin out.

View attachment 1921410

This is a 1972 Left Turn signal switch hook up.

View attachment 1921404

This is a 1972 Right Turn signal switch hook up.

View attachment 1921406
9FAB4352-C7C4-4D87-804D-EC0AC807B699.jpeg
6518B8B5-C334-4F0E-991B-00F234EF4F2D.jpeg
506CA0AA-E1BE-473A-BEB6-8E83F4EAC4E6.jpeg
40917195-A9F3-4B9D-9243-6DC27D30ED59.jpeg

The drawings were Coolerman's. I assume you know, email is the best way to reach Coolerman.👍

Wish I knew the answer and could be more helpful.
Sorry you are having to go through all that mess! Here is a drawing showing the turn/hazard/brake. This would help you if you decide to use the hazard switch. View attachment 1685098

You will have to cut and re-route the turn signal wires in the aftermarket harness to the Hazard switch. Also it is CRITICAL that you feed the brake light signal to the OEM turn switch on the GW wire! Otherwise you will have turn signals, or brake lights, but not BOTH.

Here is the function of the Hazard Switch in the ON position. Note there are TWO power feeds! One is always hot and the other is Key Switched. This is so the Hazards can work with the key OFF.

View attachment 1685102

Coolerman drawings from above quote
EB2A135F-B9C1-4D36-B3DB-1F3538846EB9.jpeg

58C74DEC-21A1-4AC0-A1DD-512D83AA57B5.jpeg

Are they new tail lights? What happens when the brake is pressed at the same time as a turn signal? Does anything flash?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom