Brake Fluid Reservoir Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it normal for the brake fluid reservoirs to be canted toward the front?

I suspect mine are wrong...

Thanks!

image.jpg

20140831_122918.jpg

Push your caps down

To check youd have to undo the big bolts (17mm?) that hold the cups to the master after sucking the fluid out of them. The cups are just plastic and they could be distorted near the bottom? Mine were canted to the passenger side a bit on my old mc. On the new one the cups are joined midway with a plastic pipe and the cups themselves do not line up perfectly.

Then again if they dont leak id just roll with it.

D

I replaced my original in February with one from NAPA. Looks just like yours. Works great.

You have an aftermarket master cylinder. Stock reservoirs were straight. Your clutch master is aftermarket also.

Thanks guys!

I knew the clutch master was new/aftermarket (still need to repaint where it leaked on the inside of the firewall) and I replaced the slave - but, I didn't realize the brake master was - the booster probably is too.

I wasn't worried about the cant, just curious - thanks!

The booster looks stock for a '78.

There is normally a small, black, flat clip that holds the check valve in position. I just happened to see it missing from your photo. You can barely see it attached to the white post of the check valve in the photo of post #2. (I'm not saying that you need to mess with the check valve. I just noticed the clip missing. The check valves tend to be very brittle and they are difficult to find nowadays.)

Thanks guys!

I knew the clutch master was new/aftermarket (still need to repaint where it leaked on the inside of the firewall) and I replaced the slave - but, I didn't realize the brake master was - the booster probably is too.

I wasn't worried about the cant, just curious - thanks!

Last edited:
I see your point - my check valve is turned about 165* and the clip is missing. Seems to be working fine - I'll find a clip for it and leave it alone - unless it HAS to be in the position shown in pic 2.

Thanks!

The booster looks stock for a '78.

There is normally a small, black, flat clip that holds the check valve in position. I just happened to see it missing from your photo. You can barely see it attached to the white post of the check valve in the photo of post #2. (I'm not saying that you need to mess with the check valve. I just noticed the clip missing. The check valves tend to be very brittle and they are difficult to find nowadays.)

Can you, or anyone, explain the purpose of that clip that my check valve is missing?

I turned the checked valve to match post 2, above, but haven't yet found a clip... Nor can I tell, from pictures, just what purpose it serves...

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom