Brake Fluid Replacement Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Brake fluid replacement question .Should I pump my brakes to return the fluid to the reservoir before emptying it and replacing with fresh fluid?I’m not interested in flushing the calipers but would like to get fresh fluid into the booster.Thanks!

Should I pump my brakes to return the fluid to the reservoir before emptying it and replacing with fresh fluid?
YES. This is a requirement, otherwise you’ll overfill the system and have a myriad of subsequent problems.
I’m not interested in flushing the calipers but would like to get fresh fluid into the booster.
This doesn’t make any sense. The rest of the system (calipers and lines) will have old fluid in it. Flush the entire system with fresh fluid.

I’m more concerned with getting fresh fluid into the booster pump.My understanding is that if you pump the brakes(engine off) until the pedal goes to the floor,the fluid stored in the booster is returned to the reservoir.It seems that this would make the fluid change more thorough whether flushing calipers or not.

I’m more concerned with getting fresh fluid into the booster pump.My understanding is that if you pump the brakes(engine off) until the pedal goes to the floor,the fluid stored in the booster is returned to the reservoir.It seems that this would make the fluid change more thorough whether flushing calipers or not.
The fluid in the booster leaves the booster and goes to the lines and calipers. The booster is not closed from the rest of the system, otherwise you wouldn’t have any brakes.

Very little point in flushing just the booster. Just do it properly with all 4 corners and the abs circuit as well, really not a hard job and doesn’t take very long at all. Wheels don’t even have to come off.

My bad.I thought fluid was stored in the accumulator under pressure until needed.My plan was to get as much old fluid out of the system as possible before bleeding 4 corners.

Brake bleeding on these systems are easy. Crack open the bleeder valve (attach a hose to drain), ignition on and paddle pressed.... let the motor to force out fluid through the hose..(IMPORTANT: Check the fluid level often. Don't let it pull air in)

Brake bleeding on these systems are easy. Crack open the bleeder valve (attach a hose to drain), ignition on and paddle pressed.... let the motor to force out fluid through the hose..(IMPORTANT: Check the fluid level often. Don't let it pull air in)
Does this work for the front wheels too?

I am not in my right mind now... it's Saturday night... but I remember so. Give it a try.

Man, I just paid $75.00 to have uncle T do it because I didn't want to mess with the ABS crap and the computer I don't have to run the system. Pretty cheap if you ask me.

Man, I just paid $75.00 to have uncle T do it because I didn't want to mess with the ABS crap and the computer I don't have to run the system. Pretty cheap if you ask me.
That is a good price. My friend went to a Lexus dealer and they wanted $175 to top off transfer case oil.

The condition of the fluid will be at its worst at the end of the lines to the calipers. Flushing reservoir with out flushing lines and calipers is almost pointless.

That is a good price. My friend went to a Lexus dealer and they wanted $175 to top off transfer case oil.
Yeah, I'll pay that all day long to have it done right, and I don't get dirty.

I flushed the brakes twice in past 5 years and was nothing more than flushing an ordinary vehicle with the exception of keeping the ignition on. I think front just press.. press and hold and repeat, while the rear just press and hold until fluid gets clear

I flushed the brakes twice in past 5 years and was nothing more than flushing an ordinary vehicle with the exception of keeping the ignition on. I think front just press.. press and hold and repeat, while the rear just press and hold until fluid gets clear
Nah...I'm pretty sure there is an ABS aspect to this to fully flush the system that requires computers. I watched a YouTube video. A YouTube video!

9F22DE5E-266A-4255-9418-1BCEC9FF4B48.jpeg
Viscosity:
• Old - fluid is definitely thicker/heavier
• New - fluid is thinner, viscous.
4CE2D93F-942E-4E20-A481-17945FDA6C58.jpeg

Fresh again.

Except the bleed sequence in the FSM is fronts before the rear... versus traditional method of furthest brake caliper first.

I flushed twice on all 4 corners and I get clean fluid on all 4 corners. No computers involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom