Brake Fluid Full? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As a new owner of LX and I was going to test the brake booster and the ABS pump. Then I found out the brake reservoir is FULL. I have no idea on why the reservoir is full and why the previous maintenance level the reservoir this way. Then I turn the key on with the ignition off, I can hear the ABS bump working, and the fluid begin to go down. After about 20 seconds the fluid went down to a little above Max and the sound stoped. The 1st picture shows the brake reservoir if full and the 2nd picture shows when the ABS pump down working with the key on and ignition off.

I am afraid to test right now as I believe if I press the brake 40 times the fluid level in the reserver will go up then it may overflow from the reserver, right? Do I need to drain some brake fluid out from the reserver? Any insight on this is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 8.13.21 PM.png

1610712489120.png

Yes it appears you need to remove some fluid to get it within the proper range. You can either do that via the brake bleed method or using a turkey baster or syringe. If you do the brake bleed method, one of the back wheels would be easiest as they see accumulator pressure and bleed fluid quicker. Look up brake bleeding procedure on the forum.
At the end, you want to have the level set so that with the ignition off after 40 pumps or so of the brakes the level is at max. I believe these instructions for setting the fluid level are on the top of the fluid reservoir. Best of luck

Last edited:
Yes it appears you need to remove some fluid to get it within the proper range. You can either do that via the brake bleed method or using a turkey baster or syringe. If you do the brake bleed method, one of the back wheels would be easiest as they see accumulator pressure and bleed fluid quicker. Look up brake bleeding procedure on the forum.
At the end, you want to have the level set so that with the ignition off after 40 pumps or so of the brakes the level is at max. I believe these instructions for setting level are on the cap of reservoir. Best of luck

Reservoir_1.jpg
Res.jpg

So I noticed this on mine also the other day. When it runs it is at normal level if it sits for a while the level seems to be above the full line. I have my truck apart waiting for some pulleys and I noticed my level was above full. I know it was not like this when I was driving it the other day. Strange.

Thanks for the replies.

Update: I used a 100ml syringe removed some fluid out of the reservoir and filled the reservoir back to max after press the brake pedal 50+ times. Then retested the ABS pump:

1. With the key at off position, press the brake pedal for 40+ times. I can feel the pedal became soft after about 20+ pushes, but there is still some resistance.
2. Turn the key on, engine off, listen to the pump running. It took about 35 seconds for the pump to stop running. Fluid level went down about 1cm from Max.

Should I consider the ABS pump is in good working condition? It seems to me the pump running time align with the FSM (30-40 second). But I am not sure if there is a guideline on how much fluid change is considering good after the pump done running.

1st picture: the fluid level after the pump done running.
2nd picture: the fluid from the reservoir. The dealer sold me the truck mentioned the brake fluid color is dark in their inspection report and recommend replace the fluid. I would assume I will need bleed the fluid in near future.

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 9.10.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 9.10.58 PM.png

Looks fine. The pump operated within suggested parameters (for time). The 'amount' of fluid pumped isn't really specified....but suffice to say IF 'boost' was restored then enough fluid was transferred to the accumulator to operate your brakes.

I agree that the fluid is MUCH too dark, suggesting the need for a complete flushing of the system, to include activation of the ABS unit itself.

Just checking under the hood today...is it normal for the brake fluid reservoir to wiggle or did I brake a mount ? Has a little left to right wiggle

Just checking under the hood today...is it normal for the brake fluid reservoir to wiggle or did I brake a mount ? Has a little left to right wiggle
Seems normal to me, mine wiggles as did the reservoir on my 3rd gen 4Runner with the same booster configuration. As long as it is minor and not leaking from the seals (these reservoirs press down onto o-rings) it should be ok. There are screws to keep it aligned, so maybe check those for peace of mind, but I wouldn't stress it.

Seems normal to me, mine wiggles as did the reservoir on my 3rd gen 4Runner with the same booster configuration. As long as it is minor and not leaking from the seals (these reservoirs press down onto o-rings) it should be ok. There are screws to keep it aligned, so maybe check those for peace of mind, but I wouldn't stress it.
Roger that, thanks. The little accumulator thing next to it wiggles too. No leaks , probably fine just giving it all a once over before upcoming road trip.

Roger that, thanks. The little accumulator thing next to it wiggles too. No leaks , probably fine just giving it all a once over before upcoming road trip.
Yep the accumulator is also wiggly, that is supported only by the pump and shakes a bit when the electric motor runs. It should have rubber isolators in the 'ring' to bounce off of when vibrating.

Mine is the same- and it seems odd to have that much movement- just rubber grommets at the bottom connecting to the master.

Mine is the same- and it seems odd to have that much movement- just rubber grommets at the bottom connecting to the master.
Hmm interesting. Yeah maybe a little wiggle is better than to rigid with chance of something failing from vibrations....idk.... Guess I'll move on to something else to worry about

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom