Brake Cylinder confusion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm replacing the brake cylinders in my 77 FJ40. The originals ( at least I think they're original ) were both right and left hand threaded. The left rear wheel cylinders were normal but the right rear wheel cylinders were both left hand threaded. The ones I received from Man-a-fre were different . One of the right rear cylinders was left handed but the other was right hand thread. In the pictures you can see how the new pair of cylinders on the right face one another. I called Man-a-fre and they say that the ones they sent are correct. I suppose I can make a mental note that one of the brake adjustment wheels turns backwards but is Man-a-fre correct ? Do these brakes self adjust when you back up and if so wouldn't that mess things up?

Thanks, Slow Poke
brk cyl 1.jpg
brk cyl 2 .jpg

Each side has one with a bleeder valve. I noticed the color difference too. In the picture of the new ones, the one on the far right has a silver adjustment wheel. That brake cylinder is a left hand thread. Shouldn't it's partner be also???

Do these brakes self adjust when you back up and if so wouldn't that mess things up?

No they do not.

You must adjust them manually.

So nobody has ever done this before? I can't be the only one to stay with drum brakes.

It definitely seems Man-a-Fre sent you the wrong cylinder.

The wheel cylinders should be a direct replacement.

I would call Man-a-Fre and tell them they sent the wrong one and request the correct one be sent.

You will most likely have to send the wrong one back before they send a new one. They should pay for all the shipping, as it is their mistake.

Rear brakes must be adjusted manually.

Good luck with Man-a-Fre.

MAf will probably send one out to you the next day thy screwed up my cam order and sent one next day on good faith that i would send the wrong one back. They were pretty good to me.

Man-a-fre says that the right rear cylinder replacement is a right hand thread. I have sent them pictures and explained that the FSM is very explicit, "Cylinders must be left hand thread". They are sorry but that's all they sell. So I had them send me another right rear front cylinder which is a left hand thread. They seem to be the same except the fronts have a bleeder valve. So I will just remove the bleeder valve and install it at the right rear. That should do it, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom