Brake caliper sliding bushing coming out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed some new brake pads and replaced the rear rotors. After reinstalling everything and applying a liberal amount of brake grease to the brake caliper sliding main pin while pushing it in it was somehow pushing the top sliding bushing out the front. Any idea what would cause this? I felt the end that came out and there wasn't any air in there or excess lube, so I'm not sure what would cause this to pop out a good 1/2" from the end of the toque plate. I've tried a number of things to make sure I wasn't putting the sliding main pin in wrong, etc...

Thoughts...

Reference picture for part details. See Sliding Bushing which goes into the Torque plate.

Last edited:
I think I'm a little confooooosed here. Explain the sentence where the bushing came out "the front" because I'm having trouble visualizing a front.

If the sliding bushing was loose and got pushed out the inboard face of the caliper torque plate, then I think something's amiss there. It's supposed to be fixed/tight to the torque plate and the main sliding pin is supposed to be fixed/tight to the caliper and the two assemblies slide back and forth in a secure fashion. Does the bushing have some threads where it could have come unscrewed and you can resecure? I thought it was pressed in and should not move - even if you WERE using too much lube.

DougM

Hopefully the pictures will show more about what I'm trying to explain. See the rubber sticking out the side?

Last edited:
I just pulled off the whole caliper again. After pulling on the Sliding Bushing back through towards the other side it revealed that the inner porting of the bushing had wrapped inside the tube and had holes in it. Now the question is....is this a separate part that I can purchase somewhere locally like a autoparts store?

i bought a reman caliper for 40 bux from carquest

I'm not positive, but that may not be a factory rear caliper, so I'm not sure how to answer whether you can get that slider bushing separately. I'm inclined to say no if it's a factory caliper because my memory tells me that bushing is pressed in.

Can you tell if that's a blue painted factory caliper? Or another brand? That's where you'd need to start as there's no sense asking a Toyota parts guy if you can get the part for a Toyota rear caliper if it turns out to be a parts store caliper. And vice versa. So work on ID ing the part. Any # or logo on it? I would have to jack up an 80 and pull a wheel to see on my end.

DougM

if you have factory calipers get a 04479-60030. thats the factory rear calpier rebuild kit, it has slider pin boots, square seals, dust boots and anything else you would need. you cant get teh slider pin boots seperate, you can only get them in the kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom